History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Black Lion Farm

A Grade II Listed Building in Halkyn, Flintshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.2259 / 53°13'33"N

Longitude: -3.2131 / 3°12'47"W

OS Eastings: 319109

OS Northings: 370557

OS Grid: SJ191705

Mapcode National: GBR 6X.0L12

Mapcode Global: WH76Y.M54T

Plus Code: 9C5R6QGP+9Q

Entry Name: Black Lion Farm

Listing Date: 31 January 2002

Last Amended: 31 January 2002

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 26162

Building Class: Domestic

Location: An isolated house on the E side of Rhes-y-cae and on the S side of a minor road between Rhes-y-cae and Moel-y-crio.

County: Flintshire

Town: Holywell

Community: Halkyn (Helygain)

Community: Halkyn

Locality: Rhes-y-cae

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in


A house of C18 origin, owned by Jane Lloyd in 1750, which was a public house by the C19 and is shown as such on the 1839 Tithe map. It was owned by Richard Garnons of Colomendy 1814-53, after which it was purchased by Philip Davies-Cooke of Gwysaney. A bakehouse was added in the mid C19 and is shown on the 1870 Ordnance Survey. By 1874 it was owned by John Lloyd of Hersedd Farm, and in 1903 by the West Cheshire Brewery Co. It closed as a public house in 1917 and has since been a dwelling.


A 2-storey 3-window house of roughcast walls and renewed slate roof with stone end stacks, and wing behind on the L side with slightly lower eaves line, and lower bakehouse attached to the R gable end. The windows have segmental heads and are 4-pane sashes. The doorway is offset to the L of centre in characteristic vernacular style, and has a half-glazed door with vertical panels. The bakehouse has a boarded door facing the front, and a lean-to projecting oven to the gable end beneath a stone stack. On the R side of the oven projection is a boarded lean-to with corrugated iron roof. The rear of the bakehouse has a boarded door on the R side and a small-pane window to its L. The rear wing, facing the yard at the back of the house, has a gabled porch with half-glazed door, with an inserted or enlarged window to its R, and 2-light casement in the upper storey. The rear gable end of the wing has a lean-to. The opposite side wall, continuous with the L gable end of the main range, has renewed windows in each storey, while the L gable end of the main range has a renewed window lower L.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its retention of strong vernacular character.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Stable at Black Lion Farm
    In the yard on the W side of the house.
  • II The Stores House
    Approximately 400m SE of the parish church, set back from the main road through the village leading to Moel-y-crio.
  • II Bryn Idris
  • II Christ Church
    In a walled churchyard on the W side of the village, on the N side of a minor road between Rhes-y-cae and Lixwm.
  • II Beehive Pigsty at Peacock Farm
    On the W side of the house, which is reached by a track and is 150m NNE of the parish church.
  • II Lime Kilns
    On Halkyn Mountain, approximately 0.7km E of Rhes-y-cae village on the N side of a minor road between Rhes-y-cae and Halkyn. A quarry is on the E side of the kilns.
  • II Ffagnallt
    Approximately 1km S of Rhes-y-cae and reached by farm road on E side of a minor road between Rhes-y-cae and Cilcain.
  • II Waen Farm
    Approximately 1.3km E of Lixwm village and set back on the N side of a minor road between Lixwm and Rhes-y-cae.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.