This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6394 / 51°38'21"N
Longitude: -4.6896 / 4°41'22"W
OS Eastings: 213982
OS Northings: 196823
OS Grid: SS139968
Mapcode National: GBR GF.SM0M
Mapcode Global: VH2PZ.N2N2
Entry Name: Saint Philomena's
Listing Date: 28 March 2002
Last Amended: 28 March 2002
Source ID: 26441
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated some 250m NW of the village square above the path to the landing.
Community: Tenby (Dinbych-y-pysgod)
Locality: Caldey Village
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Guest-house, the first building built by the Anglican Benedictine community led by Aelred Carlyle after the purchase of the island in 1906. It was designed by Brother Jerome, one of the community, who as J C Hawes had trained as an architect, but was completed in 1907 by J Coates Carter, as his first job on taking over as architect to the community. The building as built differs from the sketch plan and perspective by Hawes published in Pax magazine. Coates Carter was probably responsible for the final form of the roofs, the chimney stack, fenestration details and a number of fireplaces and glazed partitions inside. At a later date, probably after 1912, a kitchen block has been added in the NE re-entrant angle.
Monastic guest house, squared rock-faced grey limestone with concrete tile roofs (replacing red clay tiles). Two storeys with pyramid roof to square main block and half-octagonal castellated front projection, from right of facade. This has corbelled parapet, coping dropped at small embrasures in centre of each face. Flat roof with small gable behind at link to main roof. Cambered-headed leaded casements with stone voussoirs each floor on 4 faces, 2-light above, 3-light below, some leaded lights replaced in plate glass, 4th face, to N, with tiny lancet instead of casement pair. S side wall has raised chimneybreast, no corbelling, and stone stack in angle to main range. Ground floor small lean-to.
Main range set back has similar 3-light casement to first floor left, over small 2-light to ground floor, not aligned.
Left end wall has similar casement pair over triple casement to right, casement pair set lower to first floor left, over single casement. Centre round arched door with stone voussoirs. Tiny pointed single light above. Ground floor windows are C20 replacements. Former chapel, to left, runs W with lower clay-tiled roof and 5 arched leaded windows. It was hipped at end, but extended with further building in late C20.
To right of tower, triple casement to first floor in N end wall of main block, and, set back, wing hipped at N end with roof carried down in long catslide. There was a chimney on ridge, now gone. Front has leaded casement pair under eaves and deep lean-to to ground floor in angle, with roof hipped at right corner, joining N end catslide roof. Two timber small-paned casements to front, and one and door to N side.
Rear has arched board door with stone voussoirs to left under catslide, then a leaded casement pair, then a large C20 window (former 4-pane sash), with casement pair above under eaves, and single light to right. Rear of outbuilding at right angles has 2 C20 metal windows and timber lean-to, addition beyond has rear wall in cement blocks.
Not available for inspection. Drawing room in projecting bay has an inglenook with glazed tiles and deep copper hood. Dining-room in return angle has smaller fireplace with glazed tiles. Both rooms have leaded glazed partitions.
Included as an early C20 building of character with castellated bay front, prominent in views across the island.
Other nearby listed buildings