History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.


A Grade II Listed Building in Aberystwyth, Ceredigion

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.4204 / 52°25'13"N

Longitude: -4.059 / 4°3'32"W

OS Eastings: 260073

OS Northings: 282264

OS Grid: SN600822

Mapcode National: GBR 8S.NR6T

Mapcode Global: VH4FC.LFHC

Entry Name: Plashendre

Listing Date: 21 October 2002

Last Amended: 21 October 2002

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 27002

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated on the E side of Aberystwyth just NE of the junction of the A487 and the B4572.

County: Ceredigion

Town: Aberystwyth

Community: Faenor

Community: Faenor

Locality: Penglais

Built-Up Area: Aberystwyth

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in


Villa of c1885 said to have been built for a Mr Roberts, Aberystwyth timber merchant, and later owned by his two daughters. Marked on 1888 O.S. map, occupied in 1891 and in 1895 by the Rev. John Colby. In 1910 occupied by Mrs E. Roberts, owned by executors of L.H. and R. Roberts. In 1926 by Lt Col Robert Cosens, later by Commander Yale. Sold to parents of present owner after 1945. The yellow bricks are stamped Bowen Ruabon.


House, local rubble stone with dressings in moulded yellow Ruabon brick and some grey sandstone. Later Victorian with large windows, complex roofs and bays, to no particular style, but wayward in near-symmetry. Slate hipped roof with yellow brick and stone stacks, one on S side and one on the N. Two storeys and attic, roughly square plan with square gabled bays across the SW and SE angles (the SW bay broader) and a canted bay at left of W front, this capped by a three-sided slate roof with 2 small dormers. Main fronts to W and S. Windows are large sashes in cambered-headed surrounds mostly of moulded yellow brick with raised outer rim and roll-moulds to inner edges, stopped before angles. Some sandstone heads on S front. Four-pane horned sashes above, 2-pane below. Brick top to plinth, brick band at first floor, moulded brick eaves cornice, sandstone sills.
Near-symmetrical W front with big slate balcony on slate brackets across 3 centre windows between the canted sides of the two end bays, the roof carried over the balcony on 2 timber brackets. Balcony has cast-iron posts and 2 rails. Door in left bay of centre, half-glazed double doors with cambered-headed overlight. The two right windows are blank. Left projecting bay has similar windows 3 each floor and steep 3-sided roof with 2 hipped dormers. This roof runs back to a chimney. Right SW bay, projecting from corner, has decorated bargeboards, brick band across gable, pair of 4-pane sashes to first floor, slate balcony with similar iron posts and rails on 2 big slate brackets and a stone and brick centre pier, between 2 large ground floor windows. Similar window each side of bay, each floor.
S front has entry in SE gabled bay and big triple window each floor slightly right of centre. SE bay has bargeboards, brick band in gable, first floor pair of windows with sandstone cambered heads, cambered brick entrance arch with chamfered stone jambs and sloping slated timber hood on brackets with pierced boarded spandrels. Inner doorway has double panelled doors with boarded panels and big overlight. Main S window is a very unusual projected bay with cambered-headed sidelights and centre 2 windows projected as a triangular bay. Three 3 stone mullions, sandstone heads, and brick outer jambs to side lights. Moulded brick cornice to flat roof with similar iron rail. First floor yellow brick triple window, the centre broader, all with cambered heads.
N side has the steep roof to right with end stack, then lower roof to service range, to same eaves line. Windowless return of W front to right, 2-window range to centre and single-storey kitchen wing running N to left, with door, 2 windows of different sizes and another door to w face, the left door now a window.
Rear E side of main house has short corner chimney to right and irregular but similar windows. First floor has a large window with etched and coloured glass between 2 small windows, and another large one to right. Ground floor has 5 openings, the second with etched and coloured glass, and the fourth a former door with overlight. Rear of kitchen range to right.


W entrance hall leads into large centre rear stair hall. The SW drawing room was originally entered from here, door since moved to right side of entrance hall. NW library or study reached from hall. S dining room reached from rear right of stair hall, as also passage to SE corner entrance. Passage to service area behind main stairs on left, present kitchen in N room, but originally in wing running N. Consistent detail: panelled doors with stopped chamfers, very deep skirting boards, timber sloping cornices pierced with simple shapes (lozenges, trefoils quatrefoils). W entrance hall has cambered arch into stair hall. Resited door on right into former drawing room which extends into large SW bay. Coved plaster cornice. Fireplace on E wall with white-marble panels framed in pained bull-nosed timber strips. NW room, a gun-room in early C20, has grey marble fireplace on E wall with cast-iron grate. Stair hall has oak floor laid in diagonal cross patterns. Stair rises on N wall and returns across E wall to landing with similar detail. Closed string with panelling below, chamfered stick balusters alternated with shaped and pierced flat balusters, and chamfered newels with octagonal caps and finials. Pendant finials under landing newels. Small Gothic stone fireplace at NE corner and E end window with coloured leaded glass. Coloured leaded glass to half-glazed double doors to SE passage, with top-lights and cambered head. Passage has quarry tile floor
S former dining-room has ceiling in panels with moulded timber ribs, decorated with a nailhead motif, echoed on inner mullions of bay window. Large shutters. W wall fireplace with panels of dark figured marble framed in bullnose-moulded pine. Gothic cast-iron grate with fleur-de-lys pattern tiles in cheeks. Half-glazed leaded door under stairs to stone stairs to slate-flagged cellar under NE corner of house. Half-glazed leaded doors to kitchen passage running N, with half-glazed door to toilet and door to small pantry on E, and door to W to the present kitchen. Original servants bells in passage. Present kitchen has W fireplace and reset back stairs on S wall (parallel to main stair). Old single-storey kitchen to N has 3-sided plaster ceiling. Coal-house at N end altered in C20
First floor has matching landing balustrade and cornice, panelled doors and single flight of stars up to attic with similar rail. Bedrooms have plain coved plaster cornices. Small S room has fretted pelmet and tiny corner fireplace.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a remarkably unaltered late Victorian house, of an eccentric and indefinable style, quintessentially Victorian, with complete surviving interior detail, also mixed in influences, and remarkably self-confident.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Coach-house and stable at Plashendre
    Situated just E of Plashendre, just NE of the junction of the A487 and the B4572.
  • II Milestone
    At the roadside near the top of Penglais Hill on the NE outskirts of Aberystwyth.
  • II Plas Penglais
    Situated in an elevated woodland site on the opposite side of the road from the University campus; reached by drive past lodge and through landscaped grounds.
  • II Cledwyn Main Building
    Towards the NW corner of the main Penglais campus, approached by a service road to the west of the main entrance to the campus off Penglais hill.
  • II Pantycelyn, Aberystwyth University
    At the lowest end of the Penglais Campus of Aberystwyth University, overlooking the drive to the National Library of Wales.
  • II* National Library of Wales
    Prominent elevated site facing W above the town centre, reached by a road off Penglais Hill.
  • II Meiros
    Situated between Llanbadarn Fawr village and Aberystwyth on the S side of Llanbadarn Road.
  • II Milestone on S side of Llanbadarn Road
    Situated between Llanbadarn Fawr village and Aberystwyth on the S side of Llanbadarn Road.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.