This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6603 / 52°39'36"N
Longitude: -3.4859 / 3°29'9"W
OS Eastings: 299596
OS Northings: 307984
OS Grid: SH995079
Mapcode National: GBR 9K.5GDL
Mapcode Global: WH68D.FD8F
Entry Name: Dol-Hywel
Listing Date: 31 December 2002
Last Amended: 31 December 2002
Source ID: 80783
Location: Reached by Cwm-nant about 4km south-west of Llanerfyl village, and located on the east-facing flank of Moel-ddolwen, but just within the boundary of Banwy Community.
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Dol-Hywel was the farmhouse where William Jones (1726-1795) was born and spent his life. The farm was
a tenancy in the Wynnstay Estate. The farmhouse is a mid/late C18 house of symmetrical plan probably
built in Jones''s time and only altered in minor respects since.
William Jones was largely self-educated but gained considerable intellectual reputation. He was much taken by the ideas of Voltaire, and similarly espoused controversy and opposed petty oppression. Jones''s complaints to his landlord, Sir Watkin Williams Wynn, about his agents'' tyrannical behaviour, however, are said to have led to a general raising of rents in retaliation. He supported schemes of emigration to relieve distress, hoping to create a Welsh-speaking state in North America.
Jones was also a linguist, translating portions of Horace and Ovid into Welsh, and a noted local historian; he was ahead of his time in his involvement in preserving and recording popular traditions of music and dance.
The Llangadfan dances which he fostered were again revived for the bicentenary of his death in 1995
and a plaque was affixed to the church to commemorate him as his grave was unmarked. The verse on the
plaque was written by his grandson.
A two-storey, two window small farmhouse in local uncoursed masonry, painted white, with a large chimney
at the left gable and small chimney at the right gable. Restored slate roof. Brick stack to the smaller
chimney. The front and rear doors are modern replacements. All the windows are C20 replacements in
A small farmhouse which, notwithstanding alteration to its doors and windows, has retained much of its
character; listed principally for its historical association with the local antiquary William Jones.