This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9257 / 52°55'32"N
Longitude: -3.1512 / 3°9'4"W
OS Eastings: 322703
OS Northings: 337095
OS Grid: SJ227370
Mapcode National: GBR 6Z.MP1X
Mapcode Global: WH78B.KQMG
Plus Code: 9C4RWRGX+7G
Entry Name: Ty'n-llwyn Farmhouse
Listing Date: 18 February 2003
Last Amended: 18 February 2003
Source ID: 80901
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located on a lane running NE from Llwynmawr and 220m from the centre of the village. The house faces W into the farmyard.
Community: Glyntraian (Glyntraean)
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Probably C16-17 originally. Three-unit house with cruck-framed truss between the N and central units. A datestone by the front door reads ''''PDS 1762'''' when the house was probably remodelled and a further unit added to the W end at right angles.
A range of pig sties with a smithy were added to the N end of the house, probably in the C18, whilst a cart shed was added to the W unit later.
House of one-and-a-half storeys with L-shaped plan, constructed of white-washed rubble stone under slate roofs with stone stacks. Wooden casement windows, some replaced in late C20. Main range facing W with panelled front door to R, near angle of ranges, with small catslide porch. To its L is a datestone reading PDS 1762. Further L is a very small window (lighting pantry). Wide planked door with timber lintel to N unit, L of which is an early 2-light casement window. Between this door and window is a gabled dormer to upper storey containing a casement window; projecting stone stack to N gable end. West unit at right angles has higher eaves, a casement window to lower storey and a gabled half-dormer above. Stone end stack. Added cart shed to its R with corrugated steel roof; wide opening to W end with timber lintel.
Rear elevation has gabled chimney projection to L (to hall fireplace). Its roof-line is continuous with the added W unit of house, suggesting they are contemporary. To R and set back is a doorway into former hall, possibly a later insertion, with a small brick porch with hipped slate roof. Central unit has a late C20 casement and gabled dormer above. To R is small gabled bay with short end stack, to wash room. S side has similar C20 casements and 2 gabled dormers.
Adjoining the N end of the main range and at an angle, is a long low range containing 3 pig sties and a former smithy to the R. Constructed of whitewashed rubble stone under a corrugated asbestos-cement roof. Each sty has a stable door to R, a 2-light opening with shutters to L, below which is a small chute for despatching the swill. Wide opening to smithy.
The main range is 3-unit with hall at R end. Small lobby inside front entrance, with hall to R under an archway. The ceiling has a deeply chamfered cross beam with cut stops. Large fireplace to rear with wide segmental arch (the original lintel may be behind the plaster). Wooden staircase opposite, in SW corner, with small turned balusters; cellar beneath. Doorway to N to kitchen, which occupies the central unit. Further room to W of hall, in later unit, not entered. The external doorway to the N of the main range leads into a room which is not currently inhabited, but which at one time was used as a wash room; large fireplace with chamfered timber lintel to rear in a small projection. Flight of wooden stairs to the R lead to an attic room; the cruck-framed partition is visible to the R. The bases of the crucks were not visible; the partition has substantial timber posts beneath the crucks.
The cart shed has a substantial truss with raked struts; external stack of W unit to rear wall. The smithy attached to the pig sties has a small fireplace against the N end stack of the house.
Listed as a well-preserved sub-medieval farmhouse retaining strong character, the cruck-framed interior and C18 remodelling of particular interest. Group value with farm building.
Other nearby listed buildings