This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8905 / 51°53'25"N
Longitude: -4.1489 / 4°8'55"W
OS Eastings: 252220
OS Northings: 223512
OS Grid: SN522235
Mapcode National: GBR DN.R5JW
Mapcode Global: VH4HV.1RJ3
Entry Name: Plas Alltyferin
Listing Date: 1 April 2003
Last Amended: 1 April 2003
Source ID: 81015
Building Class: Domestic
Location: In its own grounds on the E side of a minor road approximately 2.5km NE of Pontargothi.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
An early C19 house shown on the 1839 Tithe map. It was purchased by the Banks family of Alltyferin in the 1860s, remaining a part of their estate until 1923.
A 3-storey 3-bay Georgian style house with a further 2 bays to the R of 2 storeys and attic and lower than the main range. Walls are rendered stone, with slate roof and roughcast stacks. The central entrance has a panelled door within a portico with 2 cast iron Tuscan columns. Windows are 12-pane horned sashes under cambered heads. On the R side are 2 similar but smaller windows in the upper storey, 2 round-headed half dormers with small-pane sashes, and half-glazed double doors in the lower storey. In the 2-window L gable end are French doors lower R, half-glazed double doors lower L, and first-floor horned sashes, 12-pane to the R and 9-pane to the L. The 2-window R gable end has 4-pane sash windows, including attic windows, except for a 2-light casement window lower R. Further R is a lower single-storey rear wing continuous with the gable end, which has 3 4-pane sash windows, and inserted garage doors to the gable end. The opposite side wall, facing the main house, has a pentice supported on cast iron columns to a split boarded back door. The 3-window main house is 2-storey to the rear, with 4-pane horned sash windows, the upper R-hand window set back above a lean-to roof (where a former wing has been taken down).
Listed for its special architectural interest as a well-preserved late Georgian gentry house.
Other nearby listed buildings