This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8074 / 51°48'26"N
Longitude: -2.7008 / 2°42'2"W
OS Eastings: 351779
OS Northings: 212314
OS Grid: SO517123
Mapcode National: GBR FL.XBPL
Mapcode Global: VH86V.4TKV
Entry Name: Church of St. James
Listing Date: 1 September 2003
Last Amended: 10 August 2005
Source ID: 81041
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: In a large churchyard near the junction of main roads in the centre of Wyesham.
Community: Monmouth (Trefynwy)
Built-Up Area: Monmouth
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Built 1873-5, by J P Seddon, architect; tower 1890. The 'British Architect' noted in 1885 that the church was 'studiously plain', the interior was 'extremely pleasing', and that the church had cost only £1700. There has been very little alteration to the building since 1890 apart from the addition of furnishings.
Church built of red sandstone with buff Forest of Dean stone dressings; walls battered below string course; Welsh slate roofs. Decorated Gothic style. Aisleless nave, chancel, vestry, north-west tower. East window is 3-light Decorated style with two cinquefoils and a trefoil lights in the head; angle buttresses. The south side of chancel has 2-light and single-light trefoil windows; on north side, one-light trefoil headed window and vestry with hipped roof, doorway, and 2-light window, with chimney to right. The south side of the nave has one 2-light and two 3-light windows; similar treatment to north side, but with addition of narrow saddle-back porch tower, three stages with tall lancets in upper stage; further nave doorway to right of tower. The west end has two 2-light windows with quatrefoil plate tracery, and hexfoil above. Steeply pitched roofs, coped gables with crosses.
Boarded arched roofs with iron tie-bars; broad chancel arch on foliated corbels. Octagonal pulpit with blind arcading and stiff-leaf spandrels of 1875 and probably by Seddon. Later polychrome reredos. Original pews with prominent carving. Polychrome tile floors. Stained glass, east window Transfiguration by Cox & Co, 1875; chancel (south side), Good Shepherd by Ward & Hughes; nave, (north side) Ss. James & Peter by Comper (1906); west window 1882 by Ward & Hughes. Octagonal font, probably C15 (from Rockfield church).
Included for its special interest as a Victorian church of definite character in the Monmouth area and as a boldly composed church with good quality fittings and stained glass.
Other nearby listed buildings