This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8267 / 52°49'36"N
Longitude: -3.3037 / 3°18'13"W
OS Eastings: 312257
OS Northings: 326257
OS Grid: SJ122262
Mapcode National: GBR 6S.TVCG
Mapcode Global: WH78V.762V
Entry Name: Bryn Tirion
Listing Date: 29 August 2003
Last Amended: 29 August 2003
Source ID: 81816
Building Class: Domestic
Location: At the east side of Waterfall Road, on high ground.
Locality: Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant village
Built-Up Area: Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant
Traditional County: Denbighshire
The house is said to date from about 1860. It is one of four large gentry villas of differing designs in the vicinity all thought to be of about the same date, a remarkable development for a remote village location. Bryn Tirion was the manse of the minister of Bethesda Chapel (itself built in 1868). It was built at the rear of the Waterfall Road tollhouse site.
A two-storey, five-window villa two rooms deep, in local shaley masonry informally coursed. Smaller uncoursed similar masonry at the sides and rear generally and in the gables at front. Steep roofs, slated, with plain tile ridges. Brick chimneys. The roof is of H plan, with large flanking gables to front and rear and a small central gable to the front only. Decoratively carved bargeboards at front only with eroded finials. The centre unit at front is narrow and slightly recessed. Small later bathroom extension at rear, roughcast.
The front windows are of 12 panes, with exposed frames, hornless sashes and handmade glass. Stone sills and lintels. Door with two glazed panels and a rectangular overlight, in cased opening at centre. Small windows at sides and rear, including some replaced C20 sash windows.
Symmetrical layout with reception rooms at front; kitchen at rear left and dining room at rear right, linked by a rear corridor. Three-panel doors to reception rooms. An opening has been made from the kitchen to the left reception room. Large central hallway with painted dogleg staircase. Small cellar.
A well-preserved Victorian villa - unusual in this upland context - with good detail still within the Georgian tradition.
Other nearby listed buildings