History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Trefaes Isaf and front garden walls and railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanilar, Ceredigion

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3398 / 52°20'23"N

Longitude: -4.0543 / 4°3'15"W

OS Eastings: 260143

OS Northings: 273283

OS Grid: SN601732

Mapcode National: GBR 8T.TLDT

Mapcode Global: VH4FR.PG16

Entry Name: Trefaes Isaf and front garden walls and railings

Listing Date: 27 October 2003

Last Amended: 27 October 2003

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 81982

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated about 1.5km down lane running S from B4576 from junction about 1km S of Glanmad junction with A485.

County: Ceredigion

Community: Llanilar

Community: Llanilar

Locality: Trefais Isaf

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Rhostie

History

Farmhouse, earlier C19, marked on 1844 Tithe map as owned by the Nanteos estate, farmed by David Phillips with 119 acres(48.2 hectares). Farmed by J L Thomas 1926. Said to have been owned by the Castle Hill estate.

Exterior

Farmhouse, rubble stone with slate roof and large stone end stacks. Paired brackets to eaves. Two-storey, 3-window front offset to right with 9-pane hornless sashes above, 12-pane horned sashes below flanking centre door with 3-pane overlight. Stone voussoirs and stone sills. Bargeboards to gable ends. Rear wing has large end stack and fretted bargeboards to gable, door in C20 porch to left of left gable of main house, and hornless sash each floor to left, 9-pane above, 12-pane below.
Front garden enclosed by stone wall each side and iron railings and gate between piers with ball finials.

Interior

Good earlier C19 interior with 6-panel doors, centre stair hall with closed string, ramped rail and turned newels. Square stick balusters to lower flight, turned balusters to second flight and landing. Panelled door to understair. Left room has big fireplace with painted timber rack over. The rack has 4 plank uprights cut with curved slots and hearts, the slots wide enough for rods or poles but not for gun stocks. First floor has three 6-panel doors. Kitchen in rear wing with panelled timber partition to left of door, fireplace altered. Stone stairs to cellar from kitchen. Four-panel door from kitchen to front range.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a substantial late Georgian farmhouse with good surviving exterior and interior detail.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.