This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8242 / 52°49'27"N
Longitude: -4.0831 / 4°4'59"W
OS Eastings: 259737
OS Northings: 327222
OS Grid: SH597272
Mapcode National: GBR 5R.V4MC
Mapcode Global: WH566.78XQ
Entry Name: Capel Gwynfryn
Listing Date: 29 October 2003
Last Amended: 29 October 2003
Source ID: 81989
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Set back from the W side of the road which leads E off the A496 in the village of Llanbedr and runs through the hamlet of Pentre Gwynfryn; the chapel is at the NE end of the hamlet.
Locality: Pentre Gwynfryn
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Mid C19 chapel, dated by a stone set in the gable apex of the entrance elevation which reads: CAPPEL / GWYNFRYN / 1861. The gallery is thought to have been added in late C19 or early C20.
The chapel was built to replace the first Calvinist Methodist Chapel in the hamlet, established in 1810.
Chapel in simple Classical style. Built of grey rubble masonry with plinth course, stressed bathstone quoins and dressings; slate roof with stone copings and weathered finial at NE gable apex. Round headed doors and windows; architraves with keystones and imposts.
The entrance elevation faces SW, a pedimental gable with roundel in apex which bears the chapel name and date of construction. Two round-headed windows grouped towards the centre of the elevation have sash glazing. Flanking doorways have double-leaf panelled doors under semi-circular overlights. Lateral walls have 3 bays, each with windows as for entrance elevation; 2 similar windows to rear.
Entrance doors lead into small hallways with stairs leading up to gallery and doorways to main body of chapel; small vestry accessed through doorway in left hand hallway. The walls of the chapel have ashlar scoring over tongue and groove panelling. There is a moulded cornice to a plain ceiling with central moulded floriate rose. There are 3 ranks of pews, the central with central divider. The set fawr, opposite the entrance, has rounded corners to the panelled front under a shaped baluster course and moulded rail; side entrances have chamfered newel posts with squat banded globe finials. The pulpit is similar detailed with a dentilled course under the moulded cornice to the advanced front; to the rear of the pulpit is similarly detailed panelling. At the entrance end of the chapel is a gallery with panelled front on a dentilled course and shaped corbels; the entrance doors flank a pair of 6-pane frosted lights which illuminate the vestry beyond.
Listed as a well-preserved mid C19 chapel on a prominent site in a riverside hamlet.
Other nearby listed buildings