This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8554 / 51°51'19"N
Longitude: -4.3066 / 4°18'23"W
OS Eastings: 241242
OS Northings: 219938
OS Grid: SN412199
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T8FQ
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.9MMJ
Entry Name: Ex-Servicemen's Club
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 82153
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated approximately 10m N of junction with Little Bridge Street.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Locality: Bridge Street
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Ex-servicemen''s club of 1958 by Harold Metcalfe of Carmarthen, refronting a building probably rebuilt in earlier C19, itself over medieval vaulted cellars. Probably marked as a public house on 1834 map with the Red Cow at No 28.
Street elevation of 1958-60 with close eaves. Three storeys, roughcast second floor with 2 windows with late C20 glazing. First floor is tiled in blue and white ceramic tiles in raised cement rectangular frame. Tiles in rows, pale blue with occasional white and divided by raised timber strips into 9 vertical panels, 4-light window in the 2nd to 5th panels with wrought iron railings and cement panels below. On ground floor door up steps and band of windows deeply recessed to right, and plain wall clad in vertical strips of grey marble tiles to left. Recess has deep sill to left of steps with grey marble wall-cladding continued beneath, 4 long windows and door to right. Basement left is clad with thin tiles of a green rough-textured stone laid in vertical strips. At extreme left, a square cellar entrance with studded plank door.
Two medieval parallel barrel vaulted undercroft chambers with C20 render to dividing wall and vaults. Vaults are parallel to street, segmental-pointed and divided by 2 segmental pointed arches with rounded pier between and rounded jambs each side. Ground floor altered in C20, but with C19 details to ceilings and staircase.
Of special interest for the survival of 2 medieval undercrofts, and an unusual essay in 1950''''s ''''moderne'''' style.
Other nearby listed buildings