This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.994 / 51°59'38"N
Longitude: -3.7948 / 3°47'41"W
OS Eastings: 276866
OS Northings: 234360
OS Grid: SN768343
Mapcode National: GBR Y4.JHCV
Mapcode Global: VH5F3.54PQ
Entry Name: Rhoslyn House
Listing Date: 18 June 2004
Last Amended: 18 June 2004
Source ID: 82900
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated opposite Lloyds Bank.
Community: Llandovery (Llanymddyfri)
Locality: High Street
Built-Up Area: Llandovery
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Terraced house and shop, externally mid C19 in detail but recorded in 1836 as owned by Rees Jones and possibly built for him with No 11 as a single 5-bay building. In 1836 occupied by D Richards, currier, who bought the premises opposite which he renamed Curriers Hall in 1843. Occupied by Evan Davies shoemaker in 1840s and 1850s. In 1860s and 1870s William Harries of Rhoslyn House was listed as a glazier, china dealer, plumber, gasfitter etc here. In 1895 owned and occupied by Anne Rhydderch boot and shoe. The building was an ironmongers in earlier C20 kept by Thomas Evans, a bakery in later C20. A T Arber Cooke mentions brackets to the eaves, which survive on No 11, and the 2 slender iron columns. The photograph of No 11 c1909 shows 12-pane hornless sashes on No 9 and a continuous cornice with brackets across both Nos 9 and 11 (the cornice still visible on No 11).
Large C19 terraced house of 3 bays and 2 storeys. Slate gabled roof with roughcast chimney to right and deep flat eaves. Roughcast facade with hornless plate-glass sash windows to upper floors, smaller to 2nd floor. C19 shop front across whole of ground floor deeply recessed, the front carried on 2 centre iron columns. C20 fascia possibly covering bracket cornice as on No 11. Four-panel house door to far left with large 2-pane rectangular overlight. Shop front between pilasters, with central recessed shop door with pivoted large overlight with marginal glazing bars, between 2 large 2-pane plate-glass windows, each with 3 thin turned columns shafts.
Right hand return has plain roughcast upper part visible.
Included as a large early C19 town house and for group value as part of the terraced late Georgian to Victorian row on S side of High Street.
Other nearby listed buildings