This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3086 / 52°18'30"N
Longitude: -3.3096 / 3°18'34"W
OS Eastings: 310807
OS Northings: 268639
OS Grid: SO108686
Mapcode National: GBR 9S.WPTS
Mapcode Global: VH698.L75K
Entry Name: Church of St David
Listing Date: 30 November 2004
Last Amended: 30 November 2004
Source ID: 83356
Location: In a round churchyard on the N side of the road through the village.
Community: Llanddewi Ystradenny (Llanddewi Ystradenni)
Community: Llanddewi Ystradenny
Traditional County: Radnorshire
A medieval church rebuilt in 1890. Earlier wall monuments and font were reinstated. The reconstructed priest's door is composite and of unknown origin.
A Tudor-Gothic style parish church comprising nave and chancel under a single roof and S porch with coped gables, of rubble stone, freestone dressings, and slate roof. The porch has a pointed arch with foliage stops to the hood mould. The boarded S door is under a similar arch with hood mould and head stops. To the R of porch is a wall tablet to William Lloyd (d 1826). Three-light square-headed S windows have hood moulds. The nave has a single and the chancel a pair of windows, between which is a low Transitional doorway. It has a single order of nook shafts, weathered low-relief foliage capitals although not a pair, and a roll-moulded round arch. One of the R jamb stones bears part of a C13 inscription. The E window is 3-light Perpendicular with hood mould and head stops. To its L is a wall tablet to Thomas Bach (d 1838) by Davies of 'Brilley', a house S of the village. The nave has plain 3-light and 2-light N windows and 2-light Decorated W window with hood mould and head stops.
A bellcote set back from the W end has a weatherboarded base, paired cusped bell openings with louvres, and pyramidal shingled roof with weathervane.
Nave and chancel have an 8-bay arched-brace roof on a moulded wooden cornice. The late medieval plain octagonal font is lead-lined, and is set on a later short square stem. Pews are plain and the pulpit has relief decoration. In the chancel S wall is a bold classical memorial to Andrew Phillips (d 1701). It has an inscription panel flanked by putti and columns with Composite capitals. A frieze below has a garlanded urn, above a foliage-enriched apron with an oval tablet. The broken segmental pediment has reclining figures and achievement. To its R is an earlier memorial to Owen Probert (d 1673), a panel with low-relief heraldic arms, and scrolled surround surmounted by an angel. On the N side of the chancel is a monument to Deborah Burton (d 1775) by J Rogers of Clun, comprising a corbelled panel and pediment with low-relief urn and husk borders. The E wall has wall memorials to Samuel Burton (d 1728) erected in 1867 and by S Littlehales of Shrewsbury, and a double inscription panel to Mallet Burton (d 1769) and Edward Burton (d 1774). In the nave N wall is a monument to 4 sons of Edward Griffiths (all died 1739 and 1758), comprising inscription panel with fluted pilasters, plain entablature and plain pediment.
Listed for its special architectural interest as a late C19 church retaining work of definite quality and character from an earlier church.
Other nearby listed buildings