This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9463 / 52°56'46"N
Longitude: -3.9885 / 3°59'18"W
OS Eastings: 266488
OS Northings: 340613
OS Grid: SH664406
Mapcode National: GBR 5W.LHLV
Mapcode Global: WH55N.P6YN
Entry Name: Stable block to S of The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 25 February 2005
Last Amended: 25 February 2005
Source ID: 84019
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Set along the W side of Bull Street (A496) at the N end of the village of Maentwrog; to N of The Grapes Hotel and S of The Old Rectory.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Probably early-mid C19 stable, built on a plot of land named as Glan William on the tithe apportionment of the parish, 1840; owned by Maria Shaw and occupied by William Jones Esq.
William Gruffyd Oakeley (1790-1835) was only 21 when he inherited the Plas Tan-y-bwlch estate and set about an ambitious programme of improving the estate. This entailed new building in the village of Maentwrog and rebuilding or improving the existing buildings. In order to do so he opened a quarry near Gelli Grin from which was quarried the large lengths of brown stone present in so many of the village buildings.
Offered up for sale in the auction of the Plas Tan-y-bwlch estate, 1910, in Lot 12 'The Picturesque Rural Village of Maentwrog'. The property was described as Stable of 4 stalls with loft over and stable room, 'in hand' at the time of the sale, for an annual rent of £1-0s-0d (£1.00).
Single storey stable block built of mortared rubble masonry including long stones in the build and as lintels. Slate roof with overhanging eaves and verges. There is a single boarded door under a shallow overlight with glazing bars; flanking windows are 2-pane lights over hit and miss ventilators.
The interior was not inspected at the time of the survey (June/July 2003).
Included as a little altered C19 stable block that forms a group with the nearby contemporary buildings in the estate village of Maentwrog.
Other nearby listed buildings