This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2516 / 52°15'5"N
Longitude: -3.4702 / 3°28'12"W
OS Eastings: 299735
OS Northings: 262514
OS Grid: SN997625
Mapcode National: GBR YK.0CVS
Mapcode Global: VH5CX.SNTR
Entry Name: Tack room and farm range at Doldowlod House
Listing Date: 28 February 2005
Last Amended: 28 February 2005
Source ID: 84140
Location: Forming the S side of the courtyard NW of the house, and the N side of the farmyard.
Traditional County: Radnorshire
Doldowlod was purchased by the engineer James Watt of Soho, Birmingham, in 1803 and was developed as a country residence by his son James Watt junior (1769-1848) of Birmingham in the second quarter of the C19. The present house was built in the 1840s as an extension to an existing farmhouse, which was demolished when the house was further extended in the 1870s. The tack room and farm building were built after James Watt Gibson-Watt (1831-91) inherited Doldowlod in 1874 and are shown on the 1889 Ordnance Survey.
A 2-storey outbuilding of coursed rubble stone, square in plan with slate roof, hipped to the front and gabled to the rear, on projecting eaves. The upper storey, housing the tack room, faces the service courtyard to the N and the lower storey faces a farmyard at lower level to the S. Facing the service yard the tack room has a round-headed doorway with boarded door and small-pane overlight. Its rear has 2 small-pane wooden cross windows under flat stone arches. Below are 2 round-headed openings with keystones, and lean-tos in the side walls. Attached to the side walls are rubble-stone coped walls retaining a steep bank between the 2 yards.
The lower storey has 2 brick jack-arches and a central cast-iron pier.
Listed for its special architectural interest as a well-detailed and well-preserved C19 service and farm building of definite quality and character, forming part of a strong group of courtyard buildings on the N side of the main house.
Other nearby listed buildings