History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Entrance gatepiers and gates to Penoyre

A Grade II Listed Building in Yscir (Ysgir), Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9696 / 51°58'10"N

Longitude: -3.4301 / 3°25'48"W

OS Eastings: 301852

OS Northings: 231090

OS Grid: SO018310

Mapcode National: GBR YM.L3SL

Mapcode Global: VH6BR.HRHG

Entry Name: Entrance gatepiers and gates to Penoyre

Listing Date: 23 March 2005

Last Amended: 23 March 2005

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 84272

Building Class: Domestic

Location: On the E side of a landscaped park (now a golf course) above the village of Cradoc to S; approached by a formal drive to E.

County: Powys

Town: Brecon

Community: Yscir (Ysgir)

Community: Yscir

Locality: Battle

Traditional County: Brecknockshire

Find accommodation in
Lower Chapel

History

Late C19 set of formal gatepiers and gates to Penoyre, aligned on the main entrance tower down drive flanked by Irish yews. The mansion was built in 1846-8, but the iron gates date from the ownership of R. D. Cleasby 1879-1909. They are said to have been made by Daniel Rowlands of Tairdderwen.

Exterior

Two large square gatepiers of tooled stone with plinths and moulded cornices and square caps, framing pair of large wrought iron gates. Gates have top rails curved down and then up to a highest point at the meeting stile. Intersected semicircular strengthening bars below, and close-spaced dog-bars below the mid rail with spearheads. Outer small pedestrian gates of similar pattern, the top rail swept up to highest point in centre, and outer small stone piers, similar to main piers.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a good set of C19 country house gates of definite quality, of group value with Penoyre.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II* Penoyre House
    Set high in a landscaped park (now a golf course) above the village of Cradoc to S; reached by a formal drive to E.
  • II Telephone Call-box in Cradoc
    At the crossroads on the E side of Cradoc village opposite The Old Smithy.
  • II The Old Smithy
    On the SW side of the road junction on the E side of Cradoc village.
  • II Nos 1 and 2 Beacons View
    On the N side of the road through Battle village some 220m E of the Church of Saint Cynog.
  • II Ty'r Pentre
    On the S side of the road through Battle village some 150m E of the Church of Saint Cynog.
  • II Church of Saint Cynog
    On the W side of Battle in a churchyard S of the road through the village.
  • II Milestone at Battle
    Near the edge of Battle on the W side of the road through the village some 100m NW of the Church of Saint Cynog.
  • II Battle House
    On the N side of a valley some 850m N of the Church of Saint Cynog in Battle village.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.