This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9581 / 51°57'29"N
Longitude: -3.5372 / 3°32'13"W
OS Eastings: 294471
OS Northings: 229957
OS Grid: SN944299
Mapcode National: GBR YH.LTGD
Mapcode Global: VH5FF.M1XS
Entry Name: The Park
Listing Date: 27 May 2005
Last Amended: 27 May 2005
Source ID: 84456
Building Class: Domestic
Location: At the end of a drive some 500m NW of Pont y Commin.
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Marked on OS as Parc Mawr. Farmhouse C17 and C18. The farm does not appear to have been part of the Abercamlais estate. In 1768 owned by the Hon. G. V. Vernon, in 1828 by the Earl of Jersey and in 1851 by the Rev P. H. Morgan. Miss Gwenllian Morgan, died 1939, was a noted social reformer and Mayor of Brecon 1910-11, the first woman mayor in Wales. Marked on 1842 Tithe map as owned by William Hughes, occupied by David Price, with 153 acres (62 hectares).
Farmhouse, whitewashed rubble stone with slate eaves roof and four brick chimneys. Two storeys, facade in three sections, a main part with one-bay lower sections each end. Flat eaves. Windows generally with oak lintels and 16-pane sashes. Left section has sash above a casement-pair window and a plank door in frame with C17 Tudor-arched oak head, both with heavy oak lintels. Roughcast big left end stack. Main range has brick chimneys each end, two sashes each floor, not precisely aligned and half-glazed door to right in added gabled porch on posts. Right section has sash each floor and right end brick chimney..
Rear left section has long C19 first floor casement pair. Main range rear has tiny casement pair to first floor left in oak frame of a C17 mullion window, and recess to right that may be of a lost three-light oak mullion window. Attached to right is lower NW rear wing with very long stair window to E and outshut to W. W side has outshut in rubble stone with door to left, and blocked door to centre, main wall to right has first floor stair-light casement over lean-to infill porch, with C20 door and triple casement, in gap between outshut and rear of lower end section. This has a small casement pair to first floor left with heavy oak lintel, and windowless roughcast end wall, with hipped bread-oven projection.
Lower end door opens into lobby by massive end chimney of main part, lower end to left has high ceiling with three chamfered beams and massive chamfered lintel to end-wall deep fireplace. Bread oven to left. Main room has two chamfered beams with ogee stops, one on timber-framed partition wall to next room, which has C19 detail and boxed beam. Porch lobby to upper end room with boxed beam. Rear wing has oak stair winding around a square masonry pier, rising to attic. C18 triangular cupboard with iron butterfly hinges attached to newel. Roof has heavy collar trusses, steep collar trusses also in rear wing.
Included for its special interest as a substantial farmhouse of the late C17 or early C18 with surviving beams and roof timbers.
Other nearby listed buildings