This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2635 / 53°15'48"N
Longitude: -4.0898 / 4°5'23"W
OS Eastings: 260711
OS Northings: 376097
OS Grid: SH607760
Mapcode National: GBR JN82.H9Y
Mapcode Global: WH542.47RF
Entry Name: Victoria Terrace
Listing Date: 23 September 1950
Last Amended: 13 July 2005
Source ID: 84680
Location: Victoria Terrace is the most prominent building facing The Green. No 10, at the R end of the terrace, is entered from Mona Place.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Community: Beaumaris (Biwmares)
Built-Up Area: Beaumaris
Traditional County: Anglesey
Built by Joseph Hansom and Edward Welch, architects of York, and completed in 1833, for the corporation of Beaumaris. The terrace was the centrepiece of a plan to regenerate the declining port of Beaumaris by creating a fashionable resort. The terrace incorporated 10 houses let to middle class professionals and seasonal visitors. The plans of the double-depth houses differed little. Nos 1-4 and 7-10 had stair halls with open-well stairs. Nos 5 and 6, in the centre of the terrace, were slightly grander internally, having circular vestibules and a wider stair hall.
The houses were sold by the Corporation in 1937 and refurbishment was undertaken by Colwyn Foulkes, architect of Colwyn Bay. The main contractor was Ashworth Brothers of Rhos-on-Sea. Foulkes converted each house, with the exception of No 1, into 2 apartments, of which the lower incorporated the original basement and ground storeys, while the upper incorporated middle, upper and attic storeys and retained the original stairs. New stairs were built in the lower apartments. The upper apartments were entered from the rear, which was remodelled to include a balcony at first-floor level. Some of the front windows were replaced by steel-framed French doors, but were restored as sash windows in 2004. Steel-framed windows were also inserted in the rear elevation. Two dormers, on Nos 9 and 10, were also removed at this time and skylights have been inserted into the front and rear elevations.
Belongs to a group of 1-20 Victoria Terrace.
A large-scale, grandly-designed late-Georgian terrace emphatically urban in conception. It is a symmetrical composition of 10 houses of 3 storeys, with basements, cellars and attics, of limestone ashlar over a rock-faced basement, slate roof behind moulded cornice and parapet, and transverse stone stacks. The front is 28 bays. Nos 2-9 are 3-bay houses. Nos 1 and 10 have 2 bays to the front. The central 4 bays are brought forward under a pediment, with double-height pilasters over channelled rustication in the lower storey. Middle storey windows have cornices on consoles. To the R and L the elevation is slightly splayed, and bays 2-4 and 25-7 are also brought forward, with similar treatment as the 4 central bays. Between lower and middle storeys is a plat band. Windows are round-headed with small-pane sashes in the lower storey (in Nos 3, 4 and 7 sash windows have been reinstated in place of inserted French doors), under tripartite lintels with 12-pane hornless sashes with panelled aprons in the middle storey, and 9-pane hornless sashes in the upper storey. Entrances are reached up stone steps (replaced to No 1), mostly with square panelled terminal piers at the bottom. Fielded-panel doors have round-headed radial-glazed overlights. Basement windows are visible in some of the houses. Nos 2 and 6 each have openings with louvres. Nos 5, 9 and 10 have blocked windows.
No 1 is 2-bay to the front, of which the L-hand bay is rounded with triple 8-pane hornless sashes in the lower storey with moulded impost band carried over the windows, and apron, a similar but plainer square-headed middle storey window, and a square-headed triple 6-pane sash window in the upper storey. The L-hand return elevation is 3 bays, with details similar to the front. Basement windows have railed lightwells, except the R-hand bay where the window is blocked.
No 10 has 2 bays to the front, of which the R-hand bay has 'Victoria Terrace' inscribed into the first-floor band. The entrance is in the 3-bay return elevation. This has a central pointed entrance, with stone steps up to a recessed, replacement half-glazed door. It has square-headed windows with 12-pane and 9-pane hornless sashes, but the L-hand bay is blind. Basement windows are blocked.
The rear is pebble-dashed, and effectively 4-storey as the ground is at basement level. The 4 central bays are recessed. It has a balcony across the first floor, providing access to the upper-level apartments, Nos 12-20, reached by stone steps at either end. Basement and ground storeys have, to each 2-window apartment, 3-light and 4-light steel-framed casement windows and half-glazed steel-framed doors, inserted in 1937. At the upper level each apartment has a half-glazed door under a tall overlight with latticework glazing. Windows are small-pane sashes. No 19 also has an inserted window to the R in the upper storey. At the R end, the projecting gable end of No 1 has a lean-to in the lower storey, two 12-pane hornless sashes in the middle storey, two 9-pane hornless sashes in the upper storey and, in the attic, two 12-pane horizontal-sliding sashes and 4-pane horned sash window. At the L end the entrance to No 20 is in the return elevation, and has a half-glazed door with inserted window to its L.
Victoria Terrace is listed grade I as an outstanding and well-preserved late-Georgian terrace of national importance, and for its vital contribution to the historical integrity of Beaumaris sea front.
Other nearby listed buildings