This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2639 / 53°15'49"N
Longitude: -4.0933 / 4°5'35"W
OS Eastings: 260480
OS Northings: 376143
OS Grid: SH604761
Mapcode National: GBR JN82.7S1
Mapcode Global: WH542.3735
Entry Name: House and Revival Hair Design
Listing Date: 20 February 1978
Last Amended: 13 July 2005
Source ID: 84705
Location: Fronting the street in a block of buildings between Little Lane and Rating Row.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Community: Beaumaris (Biwmares)
Built-Up Area: Beaumaris
Traditional County: Anglesey
Part of a terrace of 3 mid C19 shops, with houses above, built by the Baron Hill estate and first shown on the 1861 town plan. In 1886 and 1899 No 20 was a grocery shop.
Belongs to a group of 18-22 Church Street.
Three late-Georgian style 3-storey shops with 2-bay houses, of pebble-dashed walls and slate roof with roughcast stacks, part rebuilt in brick. Shop fronts have panelled pilasters, fascia and a simple moulded cornice to Nos 18 and 20, but replaced to No 22. A panelled pilaster is also between the 2 recessed doors, of which the L-hand is to the house, the R-hand to the shop. No 18 has replacement half-glazed doors under 3-pane overlights, of the which the R-hand is replaced. The shop window is a plain replacement. The fascia has an added sign board. No 20 retains an original panelled house door, the upper 2 panels fielded, and the shop has a replacement glazed door, both under 3-pane overlights. No 22 has a replacement panelled door to the house, and replacement half-glazed shop door, under replacement overlights.
In the middle storey are moulded architraves to 12-pane horned sashes (hornless to No 20). The upper storey has smooth-rendered eared architraves, of which No 20 retains 9-pane horned sashes and Nos 18 and 22 have replacement small-pane top-hung casements.
Listed for its special architectural interest as part of a terrace of mid C19 shops with houses of definite quality and character, and for its contribution to the historical integrity of Church Street.
Other nearby listed buildings