This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2621 / 53°15'43"N
Longitude: -4.0934 / 4°5'36"W
OS Eastings: 260466
OS Northings: 375946
OS Grid: SH604759
Mapcode National: GBR JN82.FPK
Mapcode Global: WH542.381J
Entry Name: Chimney stack on sea wall at rear of 51 Castle Street
Listing Date: 13 July 2005
Last Amended: 13 July 2005
Source ID: 84766
Location: In a prominent position near the W end of the town centre, in the back yard of 51 Castle Street.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Community: Beaumaris (Biwmares)
Built-Up Area: Beaumaris
Traditional County: Anglesey
Hot baths at the W end of Castle Street are first mentioned in 1828. They are shown on the town plan of 1829 and, according to Samuel Lewis in 1833, had only recently been erected. The initiative had been taken by Sir Richard Bulkeley Williams Bulkeley of Baron Hill, who leased out land for the construction of the baths. The baths were still standing and are shown on the 1861 town plan, but subsequently houses were built on the site that are shown on the 1889 Ordnance Survey, leaving the stack as a prominent landmark on what has become known as Chimney Corner.
Its style and quality of masonry are very similar to the water tower at Beaumaris Gaol, suggesting that the stack and hot baths were the work of Joseph Hansom & Edward Welch, architects of York, who had also undertaken commissions for Baron Hill estate.
A 2-stage stack of coursed rubble stone with freestone dressings and quoins. The lower stage is built on the sea wall and is abutted on both sides by later sections of wall. The upper stage is narrower. The freestone castellated cap is on a deep corbel table.
Listed for its special historical interest as representing the development of Beaumaris as seaside resort in the C19, and as a well-preserved, prominent landmark of definite architectural character that contributes to the historical integrity of Beaumaris sea front.
Other nearby listed buildings