History in Structure

Cornhill Wharf

A Grade II Listed Building in Porthmadog, Gwynedd

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9234 / 52°55'24"N

Longitude: -4.1304 / 4°7'49"W

OS Eastings: 256878

OS Northings: 338341

OS Grid: SH568383

Mapcode National: GBR 5P.MZ0K

Mapcode Global: WH55L.JSC7

Plus Code: 9C4QWVF9+8V

Entry Name: Cornhill Wharf

Listing Date: 1 April 1974

Last Amended: 26 September 2005

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 85395

ID on this website: 300085395

Location: The quay immediately SE of Cornhill, extending in front of Madoc Yacht Club.

County: Gwynedd

Town: Porthmadog

Community: Porthmadog

Community: Porthmadog

Built-Up Area: Porthmadog

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in
Porthmadog

History

Porthmadog Harbour was developed from the 3rd decade of the C19, at first by landowner and improver William Madocks (1773-1828). Madocks had reclaimed a large tract of land known as Traeth Mawr, that formed the estuary of the Afon Glaslyn, by building a Great Embankment (now known as The Cob) 1808-11. One of the fortuitous consequences of diverting the river was that it swept away sandbanks to leave a deep natural harbour ideal for serving the region's growing slate industry. The Act of Parliament for Porthmadog Harbour was passed in 1821. By 1824 the new port was already ready to receive vessels of up to 70 tons (71.12 tonnes) laden. The engineer was John Williams, and the contractor Griffith Griffith.

In 1833 Samuel Lewis said it was accessible to vessels of 300 tons burden, and noted that 'many good houses have been built, and a considerable trade is now carried on'. Imports were mainly timber, coal and lime. Exports were chiefly slate and copper ore. In 1825 11,396 tons of slate were exported, rising to 31,200 tons in 1840, 51,109 tons in 1854 and 168,947 tons in 1884, although the growth in volume disguised the decreasing profitability of slate exports. Shipbuilding also became a major local industry from the 1850s to the 1870s, with a further revival between 1891 and 1913, when Porthmadog was noted for building 3-masted schooners.

Cornhill Wharf was the original wharf, and was built to comply with the provisions of the Act of Parliament. The slate companies who purchased wharfage at Porthmadog were responsible for building their own quays.

Exterior

Cornhill Wharf is an L-shaped quay with battered sides, built of large dressed stone blocks laid in regular courses, and has 3 weathered stone mooring posts on the NW side facing Cornhill. At the end of the NE-SW arm is a return wall to the slipway known as 'The Beach'. The NW-SE arm continues in front of the present Madoc Yacht Club and terminates with stone steps. The Beach wall has a later stone parapet.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its special interest as the well-preserved C19 quay forming the nucleus of Porthmadog harbour, and for its important contribution to the overall historical integrity of the harbour.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.