This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9517 / 52°57'6"N
Longitude: -2.7372 / 2°44'14"W
OS Eastings: 350564
OS Northings: 339624
OS Grid: SJ505396
Mapcode National: GBR 7J.L1M3
Mapcode Global: WH89N.X2QH
Entry Name: Barn at Fenns Old Hall
Listing Date: 20 October 2005
Last Amended: 20 October 2005
Source ID: 85448
Location: On the E side of a minor road from the A495 to Fenn's Moss, occupying the S side of a farmyard and approximately 1.8km E of Bronington village.
Locality: Fenn's Bank
Traditional County: Flintshire
An early C18 barn associated with Fenns Old Hall, which was a Hanmer family residence until William Hanmer purchased Iscoyd Park in 1739. Brick ranges facing the road were added in the mid C19. They are not shown with the barn on the 1839 Tithe map but appear on the 1873 Ordnance Survey.
A timber-framed barn on a stone and brick sill, mainly clad in modern weatherboards, with a steep slate roof. Facing the yard is a central doorway to the wagon bay, to the R of which is line shafting and belt wheels for a portable engine to power the threshing. Modern boarded openings are to the main floor and loft. The L gable end has an inserted doorway and boarded loft opening. The R gable end is rebuilt in brick below the gable and has 2 progressively lower ranges in-line, of brick with slate roofs. They have boarded doors and steel-framed windows, and a pigeon hole in the gable end facing the road. The rear of these additions is attached to a 1920s farm block. The rear of the barn is mainly earlier weatherboarding on the brick plinth, but the R-hand side is partly rebuilt in brick and has an inserted window.
The original box-framed structure is visible inside the building, and is largely intact except for a portion of the rear wall. The 5-bay roof has queen-post and collar trusses with angle braces to tie beam, and windbraces. Some cross beams of a former loft have also been retained.
Listed as a fine and well-preserved early timber-framed barn, a rare survival in the district.
Other nearby listed buildings