This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8021 / 51°48'7"N
Longitude: -4.9678 / 4°58'3"W
OS Eastings: 195476
OS Northings: 215657
OS Grid: SM954156
Mapcode National: GBR CL.XLFM
Mapcode Global: VH1RD.VY3X
Entry Name: ,9,Victoria Place,,Haverfordwest,,SA61 2JX
Listing Date: 1 July 1974
Last Amended: 30 November 2005
Source ID: 87075
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated in terraced row Nos 1-17 Victoria Place, to left of Lloyds Bank.
Community: Haverfordwest (Hwlffordd)
Built-Up Area: Haverfordwest
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Part of a development at the entrance of the town by William Owen including the New Bridge and two terraces facing each other, now Nos 1 to 17 Victoria Place, completed in 1839. Part of the terrace, especially the eastern end, may date from before then. (See early C19 prints). The town improvements began as a result of a special Act of Parliament of 1835, but the terraces were named in commemoration of the accession of Queen Victoria in June 1837. The N terrace is plainer than that on the S which is of 19 bays with giant pilasters framing narrow alternate bays with arched doorways. Houses are mostly two-bay with narrow entrance bay to right, but No 1 differs, with canted corner to Quay St. No 7, Lloyds Bank, was much altered in 1893, originally two houses. No 9 was the centre with the date plaque 1839, Nos 15 and 17 are joined, No 17 with a chamfered corner and elevation to the river. No 9 has been the offices of R.K. Lucas, land agents, since the C19, also office of the trustees of the Sir John Perrott Trust. In 1926 it was also the office of James Thomas & Son, land agents and surveyors.
Terraced house, now commercial premises, painted stucco, with slate mansard roof behind parapet and red brick left end stack. Three storeys, two-bay front with giant pilasters framing narrow right bay (left pilaster actually part of No 7-9) and pilaster to left (part of pair of pilasters framing entry to No 11). Pilasters have simple stepped caps and plinths. Entablature over with deep frieze and simple cornice, broken forward over left pier and narrow right bay, the latter with '1839' in frieze and 'Victoria Place' in curved-headed parapet block. Windows are sashes with narrow marginal panes: narrower to the two entrance bays and longer on the first floor than above. Ground floor main bay has C20 bowed shop window similar to the one on No 11 next door. To the right, arched doorway with marginal glazing to radiating bar fanlight, and original heavy two-panel door.
Ground floor altered.
Included for its special architectural interest as part of a good classical stuccoed terrace, Nos 1-17 Victoria Place.
Other nearby listed buildings