This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1097 / 53°6'34"N
Longitude: -3.3102 / 3°18'36"W
OS Eastings: 312389
OS Northings: 357750
OS Grid: SJ123577
Mapcode National: GBR 6S.80DN
Mapcode Global: WH77H.33ZB
Entry Name: Scott House
Listing Date: 30 December 2005
Last Amended: 30 December 2005
Source ID: 87348
Location: Located off Corwen Road in landscaped grounds, and surrounded by Castle Park. It faces S into the park.
Community: Ruthin (Rhuthun)
Locality: Castle Park
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Built as a nurses' home in 1933, connected to Ruthin Castle, which had become a private clinic in 1920, having been sold by the Cornwallis Wests. Architect unknown. Now divided as flats.
Built as a nursing home, in a modern arts and crafts idiom typical of the 1930s. Asymmetrical E-plan building of 2-and-a-half storeys, with very steeply pitched roofs and gables. Pebble-dashed on a brick plinth under slate roofs with red sandstone detail, including moulded stone stacks. The windows are transomed small-pane wooden casements with dripstones; those to lower storey have stone transoms, the lights above them top-hung. The building has advanced gabled bays to the centre and L and R ends, that to the R advanced further, with sharply asymmetrical gable. The central advanced bay contains the entrance: Tudor-arched doorway with red sandstone surround under a square hoodmould containing double ribbed wooden doors. 1st floor has 4-light window, above which is a sandstone string course to gable, the centre rising over a square sandstone tablet bearing the stylised initials 'JS'. The gable has pronounced kneelers and red sandstone coping, with a single light to attic. Flanking the porch bay, the main elevation has 3 attic dormers to each side, with hipped roofs, wide boarded eaves and small 2-light casements. The windows elsewhere are asymmetrically arranged: to L of porch bay to ground and 1st floors, 2-light windows to far L and 4-light windows to R. To R of porch bay, a pair of 3-light windows to ground, with a 4-light window flanked by single lights to 1st floor. The advanced gabled bay to the L end has 4-light windows to ground and 1st floor and 2-light window to attic. The advanced gable bay to R has eaves projecting down to L-hand side over a 4-centred-arched walkway; this forms part of a 3-bay arcade to the gable end, with red sandstone arches on roughcast piers; the central and R-hand bays contain 3-light windows. 1st floor has 4-light window, attic has 2-light window. To L return, outer side of walkway has further arcade, the inner side has doorway to L and Tudor-arched window to R.
West end of house has gable end flanked by chimney stacks, containing a narrow doorway with Tudor-arched head under a hoodmould, with sidelight on its R-hand side. 1st floor, only partly seen, has a 6-light window, and attic has 2-light window. To R, side of advanced front bay has a single light to each storey. To far L is a range slightly set back with a 5-light canted bay window. East end has gable end of main range offset to R with 3-light window to ground, 7-light window to 1st floor and 2-light window to attic. Stack to L, in angle with front projecting bay. E side of this bay has a lateral stack and an attic dormer to its R, over a 2-light window. Ground floor has a 4-centred-arched opening and a 3-light window. Rear not seen.
Interior not inspected.
Listed for its special architectural interest as an elegant arts-and-crafts influenced house, retaining original character and detail in a parkland setting.
Other nearby listed buildings