History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Telephone Call-box to SE of St Peter's Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Lampeter Velfrey, Pembrokeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7977 / 51°47'51"N

Longitude: -4.6774 / 4°40'38"W

OS Eastings: 215471

OS Northings: 214402

OS Grid: SN154144

Mapcode National: GBR CZ.XSJC

Mapcode Global: VH2P6.W22P

Entry Name: Telephone Call-box to SE of St Peter's Church

Listing Date: 14 March 2008

Last Amended: 14 March 2008

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 87566

Building Class: Communications

Location: On S side of main road through village; to SE of St Peter's Church and opposite School Room.

County: Pembrokeshire

Community: Lampeter Velfrey (Llanbedr Felfre)

Community: Lampeter Velfrey

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
Lampeter-Velfrey

History

The design was introduced by the GPO in 1936. This example dates from the reign of George VI. Designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott (1880-1960). Scott was the grandson of the prolific Victorian architect Sir George Gilbert Scott, and his buildings include Liverpool Anglican cathedral and in London the former Bankside power station, now Tate Modern.

Exterior

K6 type square kiosk of cast-iron construction to the standard design of Giles Gilbert Scott. Domed roof with four lunettes enclosing embossed crowns over red-lettered opals and ventilation slits. Raised surrounds to sides, and door with marginal bars to horizontal glazing. Blank rear with foundry plate; moulded plinth.

Reasons for Listing

For Group Value with listed Church of St Peter and War Memorial almost opposite.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II War Memorial
    In a recess formed in the S wall of the churchyard, facing the village street.
  • II Church of St. Peter
    At the E end of Lampeter Velfrey village, in a circular churchyard surrounded by a stone wall. Iron gate and cobbled path from gate to porch.
  • II Derry Cottage
    At N side of the road to Whitland near the crossing of the Avon Cwm, 1 km E of Lampeter Velfrey village. Small front garden with hedge, iron gate and cobbled path to door.
  • II St. David's Parish Church
    Situated in a small churchyard on ground sloping to the S, reached from the village by a lane S via Plas Crwn and Cwmllan. Isolated from present-day settlement.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.