This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3217 / 51°19'18"N
Longitude: -2.2041 / 2°12'14"W
OS Eastings: 385872
OS Northings: 158087
OS Grid: ST858580
Mapcode National: GBR 1ST.1KZ
Mapcode Global: VH972.R14L
Entry Name: Lovemead House
Listing Date: 29 December 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1021639
English Heritage Legacy ID: 314119
Location: Trowbridge, Wiltshire, BA14
Civil Parish: Trowbridge
Built-Up Area: Trowbridge
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Trowbridge St James
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
No 25 (Lovemead House)
ST 8558 5/46 29.12.50.
Circa 1730. Probably built for the clothier William Temple the Elder (KR). 3
storeys with attic and basement. Ashlar stone fronted, on projecting moulded plinth.
Moulded cornice strings over ground and let floor windows. Rusticated angle pilasters
whole height. Bold moulded cornice and low parapet with moulded coping. Stone
chimneys with moulded capping. Double roman tile roof; stone tiles to back and
sides. 2 dormers. 7 ranges of glazing bar sash windows, single hung on 2nd floor;
all with projecting aprons, moulded cills, architrave surrounds and pulvinated
frieze up to string which is broken forward over each window, except 2nd floor;
waisted friezes to narrow windows flanking centre. Four 2-light stone mullioned
basement casement windows. Tall 6 panel central door with rectangular fanlight
of diagonal and square pattern, side glazing and plain centre panel, former lamp.
Stone door surround of Doric pilasters and entablature with bold modillioned cornice.
Door approached by 6 moulded stone steps. The central 1st floor window has a
similar surround, with pediment, but capitals of pilasters remain uncarved in block
form. The windows flanking door and central 1st floor window are narrow and 2 panes
wide. The moulded cills are repeated on angle pilasters at each level. The house
has a paved forecourt. The side elevation of brick with stone dressings and strings
carried round. Wing to left hand at back, probably C17. 2 storey and attic, part
rubble stone part brick, has 2 dormers, C18 4 panes wide, two 3-light and two 2-light
stone mullioned casements, some square paned leaded on 1st floor, irregular C18
and modern window and half-glazed door on ground floor. Continuous dripmold over
ground and 1st floors. Single storey extension to north. Rear brick built with
2 gabled stacks having moulded stone caps with bracketted gutter box. Pitched
path to west side. Interior retains much panelling: fine entrance hall with oak
staircase having ramped balustrade and scrolled strings.
Nos 2 to 4 (consec), No 5 (Rodney House) with stable yard and garden railings,
stable buildings and walls, Nos 8 to 13 (consec) No 25 (Lovemead House), garden
wall and gate piers form a group with Polebarn House and boundary wall, gatepiers
and gates and, Polebarn Road, and Nos 1 to 6 (consec) Yerbury Almshouses, Yerbury
Listing NGR: ST8587258087
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings