This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4163 / 51°24'58"N
Longitude: -2.1238 / 2°7'25"W
OS Eastings: 391486
OS Northings: 168597
OS Grid: ST914685
Mapcode National: GBR 1RR.3W4
Mapcode Global: VH96K.4NLL
Entry Name: Cantax House and Front Garden Wall
Listing Date: 20 December 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1022139
English Heritage Legacy ID: 315459
Location: Lacock, Wiltshire, SN15
Civil Parish: Lacock
Built-Up Area: Lacock
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Lacock with Bowden Hill
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
LACOCK CANTAX HILL
4/26 Cantax House and
front garden wall
House c1700, red brick with ashlar dressings and hipped stone slate
roof. Corniced rear stacks. Two storeys and attic, formal 7-
window front with centre 3 bays advanced and pedimented. Two
gabled dormers. Rusticated quoins to centre and angles, coved
eaves cornice. Twelve-pane sashes in raised moulded surrounds,
centre 6-panel door in architrave with hood on scroll brackets.
Keyed roundel in pediment. Rear centre gable and short wings each
Interior: fielded panelled doors and shutters. Ground floor
right room is fully panelled. Centre plain staircase with column
balusters and bracketed treads.
Attached to north east angle of house and extending to Town Bridge
(q.v.) is coped red brick front wall with 2 ashlar panelled gate
piers, corniced with large urn finials. South end of wall
adjoining bridge is C20. House was the vicarage until 1866.
Listing NGR: ST9148668597
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings