This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4933 / 51°29'35"N
Longitude: -2.0275 / 2°1'38"W
OS Eastings: 398189
OS Northings: 177149
OS Grid: ST981771
Mapcode National: GBR 2S7.B79
Mapcode Global: VHB3N.TQ0M
Entry Name: Cadenham Manor
Listing Date: 20 December 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1022428
English Heritage Legacy ID: 316172
Location: Bremhill, Wiltshire, SN15
Civil Parish: Bremhill
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Foxham
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 97 NE
5/48 Cadenham Manor
House, apparently late C17, but possibly incorporating part of the
manor house of the Hungerford family that stood on moated site
adjoining. Restored and extended c1920-30. Ashlar with stone
slate roofs. Two storeys and attic, E-plan. Main east front has
five-window range, hipped roof and two massive ashlar ridge stacks
with panelled fronts, moulded bases and cornices. Raised plinth
and coved eaves cornice. Four-light mullion and transom windows
each side, with hoodmoulds over ground floor windows. Centre bay
has frontispiece of c1700 type with bolection moulded doorway each
floor, each set against chanelled rusticated frame with carved
motifs to upper angles and moulded cornices above. Motifs and
Hungerford family crests. French windows each floor, upper wrought
iron balcony. North front has 2-window range of similar 3-light
mullion windows, west coped gable and end stack. Lower west wing,
apparently all C20. South front has C20 gable to right and, to
left, two-window range of C20 mullion windows, two hipped dormers,
coped west gable and west stack. Wings enclose an east entrance
court, mostly C20 apart from rear of main range and part of north
side. Main range has large C20 gabled centre projection and leaded
timber-mullion windows each side. Interior not inspected.
Cadenham was a major estate of the Hungerford family from C15 to
1712. Bought by Edward Hungerford in 1468, John Evelyn stayed
there in 1654 but John Aubrey describes it as ruinous in 1670s.
Crests on porch relate to Sir George Hungerford, died 1712, who
probably built the present house.
(J. Badeni, Wiltshire Forefathers, 1960)
Listing NGR: ST9818977149
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings