This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2411 / 52°14'28"N
Longitude: 0.7098 / 0°42'35"E
OS Eastings: 585112
OS Northings: 263788
OS Grid: TL851637
Mapcode National: GBR QF0.D96
Mapcode Global: VHKD4.8X3T
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 9 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1022563
English Heritage Legacy ID: 466933
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP33
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Bury St Edmunds
Built-Up Area: Bury St Edmunds
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Bury St Edmunds St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
BURY ST EDMUNDS
TL8563NW HOSPITAL ROAD
639-1/10/458 (North side)
09/06/86 Church of St Peter
District church, attached to the parish church of St Mary.
1858, by JH Hakewill. In polychromatic bands of flint with
freestone dressings. Nave and chancel have a plinth in black
knapped flint with alternating bands of black knapped and
random flint above; the main walling is a mixture of random
kidney flint and ragstone. Stone-faced angle buttresses at the
east and west ends. C20 plaintiled roofs. High Victorian Early
PLAN: nave and chancel united as a single cell under one roof;
vestry on the north side; a south-west tower, which also acts
as a porch.
EXTERIOR: single-, 2-, and 3-light windows with plate tracery,
their pointed heads outlined with alternating blocks of stone
and black knapped flint. The 3-light east window has in
addition cusped plate tracery, and the wall below is banded
alternately in black knapped flint and stone.
The tower is topped by a small shingled broach spire: lancets
to the south face; on each face of the top stage a 2-light
window with plate tracery, the lights infilled with stone
which is pierced by vertical rows of quatrefoils. Pointed
south doorway and a similar west doorway beneath continuous
rectangular hood-moulds and multiple moulding.
INTERIOR: wide and plain and retains its original fittings.
Plain benches. Stone font with Early English decoration. Stone
pulpit with attached lectern and reading desk. Panelled stone
reredos behind the altar.
The nave roof has plain boarding; the chancel roof is boarded,
panelled and coloured. Wooden chancel arch carried on angel
brackets with colonnettes. Kempe style east window, 1909.
Included as an example of High Victorian Evangelical
single-cell church-planning in counter-distinction to the
additive, sub-divided contemporary Tractarian church plan.
Listing NGR: TL8511263788
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings