This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4917 / 51°29'30"N
Longitude: -1.8939 / 1°53'38"W
OS Eastings: 407460
OS Northings: 176978
OS Grid: SU074769
Mapcode National: GBR 3TR.G06
Mapcode Global: VHB3R.4R3T
Plus Code: 9C3WF4R4+MC
Entry Name: Church of St. Peter
Listing Date: 17 January 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1022655
English Heritage Legacy ID: 316711
Location: Clyffe Pypard, Wiltshire, SN4
Civil Parish: Clyffe Pypard
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Clyffe Pypard St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SU 07 NE
WOOD STREET (north side)
Church of St. Peter
Parish church: tall C15 nave of five bays, narrow aisles and chancel of 1860 by Butterfield. Ashlar limestone to tower and south wall of nave, remainder coursed limestone rubble. Graded stone slates, but replaced with concrete slates over chancel. South porch in middle of five bays, also ashlar with three mass dials. Nave has uniform trefoiled three-light windows, three lancets to east. Three-stage tower with west angle buttresses, stair tower, and short crocketed pinnacles rising from crenellated parapet.
Interior: nave roof C15 with knee braced collars moulded tie beams and brattished cornice plate. The eastern tie beam has base of a rood. The roof with its fine carved collar purlin replaced an earlier steeper pitched roof, evidenced by tower creasing. Aisle roofs also C15, moulded principal rafters and purlins forming plastered panels. East bay of nave aisles enclosed with parclose screens, probably part C15 but restored and painted as is chancel screen. One parclose contains organ, 1873 by Ingram, the other a squint to chancel.
Wall paintings; fragmentary painting over chancel arch, but whole of nave has been painted in later C19 now undergoing removal (July 1984). Pulpit: hexagonal and highly carved dated 1629, gift of John Kniston with original wrought iron book stand. Chancel fittings all by Butterfield, 1873-74, oak communion rail. Font: 1860, by Rev F Goddard copying font from Over, Cambs, replacing 16 sided bowl now placed at west end of aisle.
Monuments: north aisle: Wall tomb, a much damaged recumbent knight c1380 under cinquefoiled crocketed canopy and ogee panelling below. Painted wood aedicule panel to Elizabeth Goddard, died c1585, dated 1605, kneeling life size figures of knight and wife displaced now in apertures of rood loft. C13 incised cross tomb slab mounted over north door. Excellent monument to Thomas Spackman, local carpenter, by John Devall (Deval) Jnr, Royal master mason, of London c1786, Deval's best monumental work. Romantic standing figure of Spackman flanked by recording children, bag of carpenter's tools cast down before him. Wall tablet to Elizabeth Millington c1783, by Brewer of Box, urn above, putti below: tablets to Richard Broome c1803, Edmund Hitchcock c1827, Christopher Broome c1830, all by Franklin of Porton and Stroud: Robert Millington c1831 and Ann Beavan c1821. Floor slab to William Phillips c1622 and Thomas Norris c1673. C17 Parish Chest.
Glass: Much fragmentary yellow stained medieval glass, head of queen, crowns, suns etc in heads of nave windows. Also one Swiss panel, Conrad Neyrr, Pfarrer of Kilchberg, and four Flemish panels.
Baroque carved Goddard arms panel over north door. 16m east of Chancel headstone 1963 of blue slate to Sir Nikolaus Pevsner and wife. He also donated churchyard gates. c1380 brass of Quintin family or Cobham family.
Listing NGR: SU0745576983
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings