History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hannington Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hannington, Swindon

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6371 / 51°38'13"N

Longitude: -1.744 / 1°44'38"W

OS Eastings: 417812

OS Northings: 193172

OS Grid: SU178931

Mapcode National: GBR 4TJ.9X3

Mapcode Global: VHB37.Q3CV

Plus Code: 9C3WJ7P4+R9

Entry Name: Hannington Hall

Listing Date: 26 January 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1023333

English Heritage Legacy ID: 318342

Location: Hannington, Swindon, SN6

County: Swindon

Civil Parish: Hannington

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Highworth with Sevenhampton and Inglesham etc

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Tagged with: English country house

Find accommodation in
Hannington

Description


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 12 November 2021 to remove superfluous amendment details and to reformat the text to current standards

SU 19 SE
5/212

HANNINGTON
QUEEN'S ROAD (north side)
Hannington Hall

26.1.55

GV
II*

House. 1653 by Raufe and William Freke, sons of Sir Thomas Freke who bought estate in 1605, possibly incorporating earlier parsonage. Staircase with glass dome above, front (south) porch and bow window French Drawing Room and Orangery added during remodelling of house for Col. Henry Freke in 1836. Service wing to east side of house added 1863 (truncated 1963).

Two and a half storeys, rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings, and balustraded parapet stone tile roofs. East front probably fairly original, though lacks entrance if it ever had one. Five bays, centre a two storey angled bay; flanking gables with weathered coping-gables and adjacent bays possibly added 1697 (see rainwater heads). Long inscription below parapet of centre five bays and two panels of devices celebrating the brotherly love of William and Raufe Freke. Large chimneys with diagonal shafts. outer two bays on each side have mullion windows with drips and, in gables, relieving arches (a later c17 local characteristic). Inner three bays have large mullion and transom windows. Three windows. Two bay 1863 matching extension to right, remains of a considerable service wing, removed recently. South side, much altered circa 1836, has central porch break with moulded Tudor archway and three light window over; flanking angled bays with shields between floors.

Orangery breaks forward to left: threexsix bays, panelled pilasters and balustered parapet inscribed "Henricus Freke c.B.1836". Adjacent to orangery at rear of house is the French Drawing Room; interior in Louis XV style, competently done and with six medallion paintings by Captain Willes-Johnson R.N. (who inherited 1848).

Rest of interior: largely remodelled by Colonel Henry-Freke in the 1830's eg four centred ornamental panelled hall-vault with pendants and ornamental vaults in other rooms; top-lit staircase. Stair hall contains a late C16/early C17 fireplace with carved overmantel from Bristol, An Adam-style fireplace of plain design in south-east room (from Wroughton House, qv) dining-room with heavy Jacobean ornamentation designed by Sir Harold Brakespeare in 1924.

Listing NGR: SU1781293172

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.