This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5904 / 51°35'25"N
Longitude: -1.7194 / 1°43'9"W
OS Eastings: 419535
OS Northings: 187991
OS Grid: SU195879
Mapcode National: GBR 4V4.B3J
Mapcode Global: VHC0X.49W3
Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalen
Listing Date: 26 January 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023403
English Heritage Legacy ID: 318524
Location: South Marston, Swindon, SN3
Civil Parish: South Marston
Built-Up Area: Swindon
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Stratton St Margaret with South Marston
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
SU 18 NE
Church of St Mary Magdalen
Small medieval parish church with west tower. Built of rubble with ashlar
quoins and dressings. Stone tile roof. Crenellated parapet to nave. Four
bay aisleless nave, mostly in Perpendicular style with flat headed 2-light
windows; contemporary south porch retaining one pinnacle above a diagonal
buttress and sundial over entrance.
North and south doors plain C12 retained from earlier church.
C13 2 bay chancel with stepped lancet east window. Two stage crenellated
C15 tower with corbelled diagonal pinnacles (probably a C19 addition), south
stair turret and diagonal buttresses to west. West door in Perpendicular
style with large 3 light west window over. Above is a niche with C19 or modern
statue of Christ. Unusual sanctus turret of octagonal shape with ogee decoration
to openings and with weathervane. This with the south chapel (forming gabled
transept) and crenellations are by John Belcher 1886. Vestry to north-east.
Interior: chancel lancets have unusual rere-splays. Reredos and chancel arch
with nodding ogee canopies date from 1886 restoration. Memorials: lies Charity
luke (died 1719), in south chapel; Thomas Freke 1721; Anthony Southby 1759;
Anne Southby (died 1770) small urn on angel corbel.
Well stocked graveyard to south with head stones (some double) and table tombs
- mostly C18 and C19.
Listing NGR: SU1953687991
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings