This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6096 / 51°36'34"N
Longitude: -1.7432 / 1°44'35"W
OS Eastings: 417880
OS Northings: 190119
OS Grid: SU178901
Mapcode National: GBR 4TX.42D
Mapcode Global: VHB37.QSTY
Plus Code: 9C3WJ754+VP
Entry Name: Church of St Leonard
Listing Date: 26 January 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023408
English Heritage Legacy ID: 318538
Location: Stanton Fitzwarren, Swindon, SN6
Civil Parish: Stanton Fitzwarren
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Stanton Fitzwarren
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
5410 STANTON FITZWARREN TRENCHARD ROAD
Church of St Leonard
SU 19 SE 5/433 26.1.55
Norman nave with C14 alterations, C19 west bay, C13 or C14 chancel (on site
of Norman apse, found 1865) and C17 tower to north. Restorations 1865 and
1891. Rubble with stone tile roof.
Three bay nave, west bay added 1891 (see also Gothick fireplace inside) and
south porch (1898) with richly carved gable, angle buttresses with crocketted
Two Norman doorways with hood mould of roll and saltire crosses over plain
tympanum (south side restored and blocked, north side has C17 door set in
contemporary surround). Large perpendicular window to right. Slightly lower
2 1/2 bay chancel with hipped dormer and 3 irregular windows to south and priest's
door (all restored in C15 style).
2 stage embattled tower of 1631 attached to north of crossing with C19 pinnacles,
door to north with drip and 2 light window over. Vestry forms gabled extension
to north of chancel.
Interior: high chancel arch with saltire crosses and carved valances on inner
order. A number of C12 fragments on south wall.
Font: very important (church graded I for this reason), about 1180, circular
with 8 Virtues and Vices below trefoiled arches. A great deal of carved woodwork
and gilt lettering partly by the rector Canon Masters circa 1910 and partly
earlier, especially in chancel: screen, rood screen, lectern, pulpit, exquisite
sanctuary screen. The organ front comes from a cottage nearby (in Latton),
linenfold panels. German relief of the Adoration of the Magi dated 1587.
In chancel a piscina on pillar with scallopped capital.
Listing NGR: SU1788090119
Other nearby listed buildings