This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0666 / 51°3'59"N
Longitude: -1.7904 / 1°47'25"W
OS Eastings: 414783
OS Northings: 129714
OS Grid: SU147297
Mapcode National: GBR 51F.44Q
Mapcode Global: FRA 7649.GBD
Entry Name: Training College
Listing Date: 12 October 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023532
English Heritage Legacy ID: 318845
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1
Civil Parish: Salisbury
Built-Up Area: Salisbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Salisbury St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
No 58 (Training College)
SU 1429 NE 4/144
Cl7/C18 altered later C18. 2 storeys and attic, red brick on stone rubble
base. Painted stone band between storeys. Stone quoins, moulded and coved
eaves cornice. Gable end old tile roof. Tall banded chimney stack to left.
3 hipped roof downers, C19 casements. To left hand of front 2 storey shallow
canted bay with eaves cornice broken forward over.
Bracketed moulded cornice over 1st floor. Sash lights, in architrave surrounds,
no glazing bars ground floor. In apron below ground floor original sliding
sashes sealed in. 3 windows 1st floor, sashes glazing bars intact, that over
door in painted stone surround with apron and plain scrolls flanking in profile.
Bed mould of eaves cornice breaks forward over. 2 windows to right on ground
floor. Entrance in centre: 8 panel door, solid panel over with arched fanlight
cut into it. Deeply recessed, panelled reveals and soffit. Moulded eared
architrave, small moulded cornice above 1st floor band. Flight of 6 steps,
hand railings since removed.
Late C18 extension to right. 2 storeys, attic and lower ground floor (sloping
site). Red brick, stone plinth. Similar cornice to main block. Gable end
old tile roof with 2 hipped roof dormer windows. 3 flush framed sashes 1st
floor, 5 on ground floor, one modern door and window. Elevation to Dolphin
Street qv, red brick, stone quoins and bands. 2 gables, external chimney
stack. Garden front to St Anne's Street qv. 2 storeys, chequer brick, ashlar
quoins, on projecting stone plinth with moulded coping. Moulded stone band.
Heavy moulded, bracketed, eaves cornice. Gable end old tile roof. 3 windows,
sashes, later glazing, in moulded architrave frames. The C18 extension on
this side 2 storeys with 4 recessed sashes both floors and stair light, glazing
bars intact, flush frames on ground floor. Interior has panelled common room
with later C18 plaster ceiling. Warden's office has panelling artiiculated
by fluted pilasters. Staircase of turnedd balusters, open string fluted columnar
newels, moulded handraail. Remains of circa 1700 stairs. 2 short flight.
6 bay trussed butt purlin roof.
Listing NGR: SU1478329714
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings