This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.065 / 51°3'53"N
Longitude: -1.7973 / 1°47'50"W
OS Eastings: 414302
OS Northings: 129533
OS Grid: SU143295
Mapcode National: GBR 51F.2G2
Mapcode Global: FRA 7639.RLT
Plus Code: 9C3W3673+X3
Entry Name: Cathedral Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 28 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023581
English Heritage Legacy ID: 318954
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1
Civil Parish: Salisbury
Built-Up Area: Salisbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
676/3/61 THE CLOSE
676/5/61 CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF ST MARY
Foundations laid April 25, 1220. Consecrated 1225, 1258 and when completed in 1266. Cloisters and Chapter House circa 1270-79. Chapels flanking Lady Chapel built in 1464 and 1481 destroyed in 1789. Tower enlarged by 2 stages and spire added since 1330. Restored by James Wyatt from 1789. A detached belfry, on the north west side, was destroyed at the end of the C18. North transept porch removed by Wyatt to grounds of Wyndham House, now The Council House, Bourne Hill qv. Many monuments including tomb of William Louspee, Bishop of Roper (d.1139) and Bishop Jocelyn (d.1184) both transferred from Old Sarum. The tombstones of the churchyard were covered over by the present lawns in late C18 and early C19. Many stone slabs remain in position about 1 ft below the ground.
The setting of the Cathedral is probably the finest in England. The grouping
and splendid character of the houses of the Close, all in sites laid down at
the time of the Foundation of the Cathedral, make all the buildings inside the
close wall, including the Close Wall itself a group of the first importance.
All the listed buildings in the Close form outstanding group.
Listing NGR: SU1430229533
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings