This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0661 / 51°3'58"N
Longitude: -1.796 / 1°47'45"W
OS Eastings: 414391
OS Northings: 129664
OS Grid: SU143296
Mapcode National: GBR 51F.2RJ
Mapcode Global: FRA 7649.D53
Plus Code: 9C3W3683+FJ
Entry Name: 20, The Close
Listing Date: 28 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023596
English Heritage Legacy ID: 318990
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1
Civil Parish: Salisbury
Built-Up Area: Salisbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
SU 1429 NW
1718 refronting of medieval building. 2 storey and attic. Brick on stone
plinth and with stone quoins and 1st floor string. Moulded wood eaves cornice,
gutter with lion head ornament and hipped old tile roof. All windows have
stone surrounds, 3 dormers, small sashes, with cornice. 5 windows 1st floor,
4 windows ground floor and 1840 stone porch in centre, with round headed side
lights. Banded piers, ebtaluature, 4 panel porch door with semi-circular
fanlight. Inner glazed and panelled door, semi-circular fanlight with looped
concentric glazing. Small 6 panel door with arched radiating and wreathed
fanlight in later early C19. 1 storey extension to left. 2 storey extension
to right with one window. Long rear wing 2 storey timber frame partly with
oversailing tile hung 1st floor with shaped tiles. Gable end old tile roof.
The west front of wing has medieval stonework flint rubble and tiles inset.
Irregular C18 and later windows, A large 4 centred chamfered stone archway
in present kitchen in this wing former carriageway on this part of house
was the stables of No 21 The Close qv, On west side a 2 storey red brick circa
1840 extension with 2 recessed sash windows and hipped slate roof.
Interior of 1718 block has good mid to later C18 staircase with open string,
turned balusters and moulded handrail swept up to newels.
The roof structure of early wing concealed but apparently has trusses with
All the listed buildings in the Close form an outstanding group.
Listing NGR: SU1439129664
Other nearby listed buildings