This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0662 / 51°3'58"N
Longitude: -1.7965 / 1°47'47"W
OS Eastings: 414352
OS Northings: 129676
OS Grid: SU143296
Mapcode National: GBR 51F.2M3
Mapcode Global: FRA 7639.KX3
Entry Name: 21 and 21a, the Close
Listing Date: 28 February 1952
Last Amended: 12 October 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023597
English Heritage Legacy ID: 318992
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1
Civil Parish: Salisbury
Built-Up Area: Salisbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Nos 21 & 21A
(Formerly listed as No 21)
SU 1429 NW 3/40 28.2.52.
Early canonical house, original structure carried a stage higher in C15 hence
old name of *Aula le Stage".
C13 and C14-15 altered early C19. 2 storey. Rubble stone flint and tile.
Old tile roof. Double gabled front with pierced stone balustrading between
gables and at outer corners, crowned with finials. Stone copings and carved
finial to each gable. 2 large moulded stone mullioned 4-light casements flanking
2 light similar casement on 1st floor. 2 tall C19 similar windows on ground
floor and central door with 2 light casement over. The entrance is set in
an early Cl9 slightly projecting porch, 4 centred arch and pierced balustrade.
The windows have drip moulds over. The west front has part of 2 storeys with
4 windows 1st floor and 3 on ground floor, 2 and 3 light stone mullioned
casements mostly renewed C19 and large 4 light stone mullioned one on ground
floor, drip mould over. 3 storey part to rear with hipped old tile roof.
External stepped chimney on this front. East front has projecting gabled
bay rendered, and a flint, stone rubble gabled section adjoining to north.
Pointed arched side door. Earliest part to rear. East corner has chapel
with blocked lancets, open to east. West corner has the 3 storey block the
tile hung 2nd floor on moulded base being the C15 addition, flint rubble below.
2 stone mullioned windows and blocked cusped window. Corbelled chimney, brick
Interior: the entrance hall has remains of C15 frieze with boar and lamb and
flag. The presumed chapel Cl3 with lancet windows. The base of the 3 storey
north west block is tunnel vaulted. A large waggon roofed room 1st floor
plastered with thin ribs in octagonal pattern probably early C19. Some C17
panelling. A similar ceiling to room in left hand part of house (No 21A).
This part has C18 staircase, closed string turned balusters. On 1st floor
wall post remains of cambered collar, windbrace. A blocked C14 archway close
to floor level. Reset C16 frieze-in ground floor rear room incorporating
the arms of Catherine of Aragon. The 2nd floor C15 addition to north west
corner has base of trusses (3 bays) and part of brackets, probably there was
a gable end roof prior to the present hipped one. In the Mid C19 the house
was the residence of Canon W Lyle Bowles who added the front porch.
All the listed buildings in the Close form an outstanding group.
Listing NGR: SU1435229676
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings