This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0666 / 51°3'59"N
Longitude: -1.7993 / 1°47'57"W
OS Eastings: 414159
OS Northings: 129712
OS Grid: SU141297
Mapcode National: GBR 51F.1XV
Mapcode Global: FRA 7639.JTR
Entry Name: Wren Hall
Listing Date: 28 February 1952
Last Amended: 12 October 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023620
English Heritage Legacy ID: 319039
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1
Civil Parish: Salisbury
Built-Up Area: Salisbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
SU 1429 NW
No 56C (Wren Hall)
(Formerly listed as No. 57 (Choristers' School))
Originally north wing of Braybrook House No 57 qv. Rebuilt 1714 under direction
of Naish Thomas Clerk of Works (doubtful attribution to Sir C Wren). 1 storey
and semi-basement. Brick on stone plinth with moulded and coved stone cornice.
Hipped old tile roof with 3 hipped dormer leaded casements. 4 tall 3-centred
arched windows, with chamfered and bonded stone Jambs, and stone architrave
surround to heads with key blocks. 4 2-light windows in basement. Central
6-Panel door in bonded chamfered stone surround with voussoir head, under
wide projecting flat hood with concave curved lead roof carried up to a point
and under oval window with moulded stone surround and quadrant blocks.
Plain stone brackets under hood. Flight of 6 stone steps with plain wrought
iron guard rails to door. Recessed bay with one window on first floor and
narrower ground floor window and secondary door to left hand. The interior
is one large school room with original panelled dado and master's desk. Medieval
cellars survive. The foundation of school is C13. Alexander de Hemmingsby
is the first Custos of the school on record. He was Canon from 1304 to 1334
and lived in the adjoining Braybrooke House, No 57 qv.
All the listed buildings in the Close form an outstanding group.
Listing NGR: SU1415929712
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings