This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0552 / 51°3'18"N
Longitude: -1.769 / 1°46'8"W
OS Eastings: 416285
OS Northings: 128453
OS Grid: SU162284
Mapcode National: GBR 51G.PLM
Mapcode Global: FRA 765B.BNS
Plus Code: 9C3W364J+39
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and attached Radnor Mausoleum
Listing Date: 23 March 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023791
English Heritage Legacy ID: 319409
ID on this website: 101023791
Location: St Peter's Church, Britford, Wiltshire, SP5
Civil Parish: Britford
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Britford St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
Tagged with: Church building
SU 12 NE
CHURCH LANE (east side)
Church of St Peter and attached Radnor Mausoleum
Anglican Parish Church and Radnor family mausoleum C9, C14 and C18 with restoration of 1872-73 by G.E Street. Flint and stone rubble with some chequer, tiled or lead roof with coped verges and cross finials. Cruciform plan, with south porch and north vestry.
Gabled south porch of 1873 by Street, has pointed arched door with hood mould. South side nave has three pairs of cusped lancets, with buttress between second and third bays. Small lean-to chapel of 1873, built when Saxon arch inside exposed, has tiled roof and one lancet. South transept has three-light geometric-traceried window with hood mould with carved head terminals. South side chancel has three pairs of cusped ogee-headed lancets, east end has diagonal buttresses and three-light window with reticulated tracery and hood mould with carved head terminals. North side chancel has two pairs of cusped ogee-headed lancets and projecting vestry of 1873 in western bay, with two-light Decorated-styled window in gable. North transept has two-light geometric traceried window with hood mould. North side nave has three pairs of cusped lancets and one buttress, small chapel in eastern bay of 1873, corresponds to same on south, and has one lancet. West wall of 1764 was rebuilt by Street in ashlar, diagonal buttresses and three-light window with geometric tracery and hood mould. Square tower over crossing is of 1764, in ashlar with band at eaves level, plain chamfered pointed openings with louvres to east, south and north with oculus to west face, battlemented parapet and pyramidal tiled roof.
Interior: heavily moulded pointed arch inside porch is by Street, doorway inside nave is Saxon round arch in dressed stone. Nave has plain plastered walls with high windows with widely splayed openings, shallow pitched roof has tie-beam with king post and raking struts. Two C8 or C9 Saxon round arches to former porticus flanking east end; north is in dressed stone with fine vine scroll and interlaced carving to jambs, south has arch in Roman tile with plain stone jambs. Double-chamfered crossing arches, transepts have arch-braced collar truss roofs. North transept has ogee-headed piscina and pointed door to vestry. Chancel has same roof as transepts, pointed archway to organ chamber; on north wall is tomb of Henry, Duke of Buckingham, of 1483 with reused crocketed ogee arch over.
Fittings: finely carved C17 pulpit reset on Victorian stone base in crossing. Some medieval bench ends in chancel, rest of pews are Victorian, except C18 box pews in south transept. Good early C19 wall tablets in north transept including marble tablet by Bacon to Richard Jervys died 1820 and to Robert Morres died 1841 by Osmond of Sarum. Some fine C19 and early C20 stained glass, especially south transept window, the work and gift of Helen, Countess of Radnor, 1929, west window by Ward and Hughes of London, 1882.
Radnor Mausoleum attached to north west corner of north transept, of 1764, altered 1873 by Street with ashlar walls and pitched roof, carved arms of Pleydell-Bouverie family on east wall by John Deval the Younger 1779. All work of 1764 was paid for by 1st Earl of Radnor.
(Unpublished records of R.C.H.M. (England) Salisbury).
Listing NGR: SU1629128453
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings