This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0539 / 51°3'13"N
Longitude: -1.7714 / 1°46'16"W
OS Eastings: 416120
OS Northings: 128304
OS Grid: SU161283
Mapcode National: GBR 51G.WGN
Mapcode Global: FRA 765B.HQG
Plus Code: 9C3W363H+GF
Entry Name: Moat House
Listing Date: 23 March 1960
Last Amended: 28 March 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023794
English Heritage Legacy ID: 319412
Location: Britford, Wiltshire, SP5
Civil Parish: Britford
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Britford St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SU 12 NE BRITFORD CHURCH LANE
4/32 Nos. 1 and 2 Moat House
(formerly listed as The Moat)
Large detached house, now divided into two dwellings. C17 with
substantial remodelling and additions of 1766 and early C19. C17
range flint and stone, red or pale yellow brick to later ranges and
facades, Welsh slate hipped roofs with stacks of red or pale yellow
brick. Central C18 range with additional wings to rear and sides.
2- storey front has thirteen windows grouped in seven bays. Glazed
and panelled door to right of centre has flat wooden hood and
pilasters, to left of door are two 9-pane sashes and to right is
one 9-pane sash; all with segmental heds. These two central bays
flanked by 2-storey brick canted bays each with three 9-pane sashes
to ground floor, to right are two C20 windows and to left is one
C20 window. First floor has two pairs of ogee-headed sashes with
Gothick tracery in centre with same windows in bays and to right,
to left are C20 casements on first and second floors of service
wing. Centre bays and canted bays have brick battlemented parapet.
Right return has central door with segmental head and tripartite
casement to right, to left are two C20 windows, first floor has
tripartite casements with Gothick leading either side of blind
window; all with segmental heads. 3-storey left return has central
door with segmental head and one segmental-headed casement to right
on each floor, to left are two segmental-headed casements. Rear
garden front in yellow brick is 2-storey with 5 windows, all with
segmental heads. Central glazed door has segmental head, two 6-
pane sashes either side, ground floor has projecting brick quoins.
Plat band to first floor, five 12-pane sashes. Moulded wooden
cornice. Wing to left with French windows and 9-pane sashes and
wing to right with French windows and sashes with segmental heads.
Lead downspouts to front and rear.
Interior not inspected, but recorded by R.C.H.M.: Front entrance
hall has plaster cornice of early C18. South ground floor drawing
room has original joinery and marble fireplace with fluted surround
and paterae. Early C19 stairs with turned newels, stair hall top
lit by glass dome on fluted drum. Main drawing and ante room on
first floor overlooking garden to south; good plaster work and
marble fireplace of c1820 with reeded surround and paterae and
central panel above with carved fruit in basket. North side has
fittings of c1740 with corniced ceiling and eared surround to
fireplace, and doors with fielded panels. History: Property of
Jervoise family from 1542, Richard Jervoise added north wing and
vaulted ground floor wine cellar c1740. In 1766 Tristram Jervoise
added brick front facade with battlement bays and Gothick detail,
and in c1820 George Jervoise added south range and encased sides in
matching yellow brick. The large moat surrounding the house may be
C18 remodelling of an earlier moat.
(Unpublished Records of R.C.H.M. (England), Salisbury).
Listing NGR: SU1612028304
Other nearby listed buildings