This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9906 / 50°59'26"N
Longitude: -1.7569 / 1°45'24"W
OS Eastings: 417159
OS Northings: 121269
OS Grid: SU171212
Mapcode National: GBR 528.SRH
Mapcode Global: FRA 766H.HC9
Entry Name: School House
Listing Date: 23 March 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023872
English Heritage Legacy ID: 319603
Location: Downton, Wiltshire, SP5
Civil Parish: Downton
Built-Up Area: Downton
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Downton St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SU 12 SE
Detached house. TC/1692 on stone tablet over door. English bond
brick, tiled roof, gable-end brick stacks with toothing. 2-storey,
2-window. Central C20 door, one 3-light latticed leaded casement
to either side, both with flat arches. 3-brick plat band to first
floor, two 3-light latticed leaded casements. Two hipped dormers
to roof with 2-light latticed casements. Coped verge with kneelers
to right. To left is C19 extension in English bond with vitrified
headers and one 3-light casement. To right is integral single-
storey extension with hipped roof and 2-light casement.
Interior has chamfered ceiling beam and joists, with step and
concave stops, open fireplace with chamfered lintel, planked doors,
2-bay roof. A school was established here by an endowment of £100
by Emma Noyes in 1784.
(Unpublished records of RCHM (England), Salisbury)
Listing NGR: SU1766424015
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings