This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.016 / 51°0'57"N
Longitude: -1.7501 / 1°45'0"W
OS Eastings: 417627
OS Northings: 124095
OS Grid: SU176240
Mapcode National: GBR 522.8C5
Mapcode Global: FRA 767F.D1G
Plus Code: 9C3W268X+9X
Entry Name: Church of Charlton All Saints
Listing Date: 4 July 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1355720
English Heritage Legacy ID: 319610
Location: Downton, Wiltshire, SP5
Civil Parish: Downton
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Charlton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
DOWNTON CHARLTON ALL SAINTS
SU 12 SE
4/51 Church of Charlton All Saints
Anglican parish church. 1851 by T. H. Wyatt, north transept added
1891. Header bond brick with some knapped flint, tiled roof.
Early English style. Consists of nave, chancel, south porch and
north transept. Gabled south porch has coped verge and buttresses,
double-chamfered pointed arched doorway with hoodmould and angel
terminals, lancet to east side with foliated terminals. South side
of nave has one lancet to left of porch and one pair and two
lancets to right, all hollow-chamfered with hoodmoulds and latticed
leading. Dentilled eaves, angle buttresses. South side of chancel
has two lancets and string course at sill level, gutter supported
on stone corbels. East end has group of three stepped lancets with
one hoodmould, trefoil to gable. North side has one lancet, north
transept has moulded lancet with foliated terminals to east side,
2-light plate-tracery window to north and pointed west door with
continuous roll moulding. North side of nave has one single, a
pair and two lancets, similar details to south side. West end has
central buttress and lancet either side, with multifoil over.
Stone coped verges to roof, cresting to ridge, shone western
bellcote with two pointed openings and central shaft.
Interior has 5-bay nave with arch-braced collar truss roof, plain
plastered walls. Double-chamfered chancel arch with octagonal
responds, chancel has plain raftered ceiling, heavy elliptical arch
to organ chamber and vestry in north transept. All original
fittings; pews, choir stalls, and good brass oil lamps with wrought
iron fittings, suspended from roof. Two piscina in chancel. Font
by Butterfield at west end of nave was given to commemorate the
death of Henry, son of the 2nd Earl Nelson in 1863. Some good
stained glass, especially the west windows by William Morris and
Company Limited, depicting St. Andrew and St. John, in memory of
Horatio the 3rd Earl Nelson, died 1913. Glass in south windows of
nave by Mayers and Company of Munich and London, 1891.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975
VCH,Wiltshire, Vol XI, 1980, p. 58)
Listing NGR: SU1762724095
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings