This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2102 / 51°12'36"N
Longitude: -1.9175 / 1°55'2"W
OS Eastings: 405859
OS Northings: 145665
OS Grid: SU058456
Mapcode National: GBR 3Y6.21G
Mapcode Global: VHB52.QV55
Entry Name: The Rookery
Listing Date: 4 July 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023991
English Heritage Legacy ID: 319829
Location: Orcheston, Wiltshire, SP3
Civil Parish: Orcheston
Built-Up Area: Orcheston
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Salisbury Plain
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ORCHESTON ORCHESTON ST. MARY
SU 04 NE
2/193 The Rookery
Detached house. Mid-C17, restored 1753 by George Pitt, late C19
alterations and rear service wing. Flint and limestone, red brick
services, Welsh slate roof with coped verges, brick stacks. L-
plan. 2-storey, 2-window entrance front at right angles to road.
Central C19 porch in buff-coloured brick with limestone, has
pointed door and battlemented parapet, pointed windows on side
walls, to left are 3-light French windows, with hollow-chamfer
mullions and hoodmould, to right is 2-light hollow-chamfer
mullioned window with hoodmould. First floor has two 2-light
mullioned windows with hoodmoulds; all windows are C18 casements
with margin panes, left part of facade is Cl7 wing, to right is
gable of main range, with string course at attic level and coped
verge. Right return is east front rendered and remodelled in C19;
basement with 3-light mullioned window, to left is canted bay with
plate glass sashes and battlemented parapet, to right is single
sash in hollow-chamfered surround and 3-light mullioned window.
First floor has four 2-light mullioned windows, dentilled eaves
cornice in brick. Two dormers with flat heads and casements. Rear
has gable of C17 range to left with small sash to first floor and
return with C19 sash, to right is late C19 2-storey service wing in
brick cavity walling; 2-storey and basement, 4-pane sashes. Left
return from front has C19 casements in Cl7 wall.
Interior has cellar with chamfered beams with stops, C17 fittings
include some reset wainscot panelling. Ground floor fittings
mostly date from early C19, first floor has doors with 6 fielded
panels and fireplaces dating from 1753 restoration; stairs also.
In entrance hall is stone tablet with inscription recording the
1753 restoration by George Pitt, Lord of the Manor, moved from
attic chimney in late C20. (Unpublished records of RCHM
(England) , Salisbury )
Listing NGR: SU0585945665
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings