This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1083 / 52°6'30"N
Longitude: -1.4616 / 1°27'41"W
OS Eastings: 436970
OS Northings: 245693
OS Grid: SP369456
Mapcode National: GBR 6QR.WTV
Mapcode Global: VHBYJ.M85L
Entry Name: Upton House
Listing Date: 7 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1024175
English Heritage Legacy ID: 306243
Location: Ratley and Upton, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, OX15
Civil Parish: Ratley and Upton
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Ratley St Peter ad Vincula
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
RATLEY AND UPTON UPTON
3/132 Upton House
Country house. 1695. Built for Sir Rushout Cullen, Bt. Possibly designed by one
of the Smiths of Warwick. Possibly altered c.1710. Alterations or additions 1735
for William Bumstead. C19 additions. Remodelled 1927-1929 by Percy Morley Horder
for the 2nd Viscount Bearsted. Ironstone ashlar; doorcase, attic storey and most
of parapet of grey limestone; stone slate hipped roofs; stone ridge stacks with
square shafts, string courses and cornices. Double depth plan. Largely
symmetrical. 2 storeys, basement and attic; 16-window range. Entrance front of
4:1:2:3:2:1:3 bays. Renewed sashes throughout have thick glazing bars, 18-pane
on ground floor, 15-pane on first floor, most in bolection moulded architraves
with keystones. One-bay ranges have 24 and 20-pane sashes. Leaded 2-light roof
dormers with moulded cornices. Centre and 2-bay ranges have moulded plinth, sill
courses stepped up between windows, moulded string course, and cornice. Recessed
centre has full-width steps. Central entrance, probably of 1735, has moulded
architrave with large keystone, Tuscan half-columns and dosserets with
triglyphs, and pediment. Fielded 4-panelled door, with panel above. Early C18
attic storey and broken segmental pediment has moulded round arched window with
large keystone breaking into pediment. Shaped sunk panels to left and right.
Projecting 2-bay ranges, have rusticated alternating quoins. 2-light mullioned
basement windows. Reused lead rainwater heads and pipes dated 1735 have initials
and coat of arms of William Bumstead. Central segmental pedimented roof dormers.
One-bay ranges, largely of 1927-29, have central roof dormers. Cornices and
parapets with balustrading above each bay. 4-bay range to left has stone lintels
with keystones to all openings. Subsidiary entrance in third bay has second
lintel and moulded 6-panelled door. 4-bay and 3-bay ranges have unpainted
moulded wood eaves cornice and roof dormers. Attached outbuildings to left
include one storey and attic kitchen wing and coach house with gable clock and
octagonal lantern. Basement picture gallery attached on right. Garden front of
1:2:9:2:1 bays. Mostly 18-pane sashes with 15-pane on first floor. Basement has
2-light mullioned windows with hood moulds. Recessed centre has tall narrow
central entrance of 1695. Grey limestone moulded architrave, panelled pilaster
strips, entablature and segmental pediment. Splayed steps with wrought iron
balustrades of c.1695. Projecting 2-bay wings have rusticated alternating
quoins. Wide one-bay ranges have broad canted bays with 24- and 20-pane sashes.
Lower part C19, raised and remodelled 1927-29. Basements have segmental arched
windows with keystones. First floor has small flanking windows. Unpainted
moulded wood eaves cornice and roof dormers throughout. Lead rainwater heads
dated 1695 have initials of Sir Rushout Cullen. Interior remodelled. Entrance
hall has open well staircase of reused twisted balusters with leaf bulbs. Early
C18 stone chimney piece has overmantel with panel, volutes and open pediment.
Dining Room has early C18 marble chimney piece with bulging Ionic pilasters. C16
moulded 4-centred arched doorway in basement.
(Upton House, Warwickshire, Architectural Review, Vol. LXIX, April 1931,
pp.125-131; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.439; G. Jackson-Stops, Upton
House, Warwickshire; (The National Trust); Country Life, Vol. XVI, 10th
September 1904; Vol. XLVI, 5th and 12th September 1936).
Listing NGR: SP3697045693
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings