This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0983 / 52°5'53"N
Longitude: -1.5653 / 1°33'54"W
OS Eastings: 429877
OS Northings: 244530
OS Grid: SP298445
Mapcode National: GBR 5PH.F2B
Mapcode Global: VHBYG.TJC9
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 13 October 1966
Last Amended: 30 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1024347
English Heritage Legacy ID: 305928
Location: Whatcote, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV36
Civil Parish: Whatcote
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Whatcote St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
9/165 Church of St. Peter
13/10/66 (Formerly listed as Parish
Church of St. Peter)
Church. C12-C14. Restorations 1820. Repairs c.1940. Ashlar and coursed ironstone
rubble. Ironstone banded with limestone at east end. Tile and slate roofs. Stone
coped gables with ball finials. Chancel, nave, west tower, south porch. Chancel
has 3-light east window with intersecting tracery, a pointed arched doorway with
plank; door on south, to left a square headed Perpendicular window. To right a
2-light Perpendicular window with hood mould and label stops. North side of
nave: Romanesque north doorway has billet and cable mouldings. Blocked entrance.
2 tall round headed Romanesque windows and a square headed window. South side of
nave: 2 lancets and a 2-light window with Y tracery with cusped head and hood
mould. Renewed Y traceried window to left of gabled porch. Pointed arched south
doorway has chamfered jambs and plank door. West tower: C13 2 stages divided by
string courses. Windows include lancets, cinquefoiled pointed lights and
trefoiled ogee headed lights. Embattled parapet. Interior: chancel has barrel
roof with tie beams. C19 nave roof. C18 altar rails. C18 pulpit. 3 benches with
Perpendicular ends. Circular stone font. C18 memorials in chancel to Mary
Seagrove, John Seagrove and Martha Drake.
(Buildings of England: Warwickshire, 1981, p.470, V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol. V,
Listing NGR: SP2987744530
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings