This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0513 / 52°3'4"N
Longitude: -1.5416 / 1°32'29"W
OS Eastings: 431530
OS Northings: 239316
OS Grid: SP315393
Mapcode National: GBR 6RF.733
Mapcode Global: VHBYP.7PCT
Entry Name: Church of St George
Listing Date: 13 October 1966
Last Amended: 30 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1024382
English Heritage Legacy ID: 305800
Location: Brailes, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, OX15
Civil Parish: Brailes
Built-Up Area: Lower Brailes
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Brailes St George
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
BRAILES HIGH STREET
SP3139 (North side)
15/37 Church of St. George
13/10/66 (Formerly listed as Parish
Church of St. George)
Church. C13 with C14 and C15 alterations and additions. Restoration 1879.
Regular coursed ironstone, stone slate roofs. Chancel, nave, west tower, north
and south aisles, north vestry. Chancel: mostly sandstone windows, chancel east
window of 5 lights with reticulated tracery. South windows include a 3-light
window with intersecting tracery, 2-light traceried window and 4-light
Perpendicular window. Doorway with pointed arched head and hood mould. Two
2-light north windows have traceried heads. Nave has parapets with finials to
north and south. Corbel table to south has heads. Clerestory of twelve 2-light
Decorated windows to both north and south. South aisle: east window of 3 lights
with plate tracery, trefoil and cinquefoils. Late C13 windows include a 3-light
window with intersecting tracery, four 3-light windows with stepped lancets.
2-light lancet window to west has cinquefoil. North aisle: six 2-light Decorated
windows with square heads. Pointed arched doorway with hood mould. Open parapet.
Corbel table has row of beasts, and monsters heads. West tower of 3 stages. C15
west doorway has square head with partly renewed stonework. 5-light
Perpendicular west window. Double window openings to bell chamfer. Embattled
parapet with finials. South porch: C15. Parapet, finials and sundial. South
doorway has 3 continuous orders of moulding and hood mould. Renewed plank door.
Diagonal buttresses. Coped gables. Sanctus bell-cote has ogee heads and finial.
Gargoyles. Interior: chancel has renewed chancel arch in Decorated style and
renewed stonework to organ recess. 3-seat Decorated sedilia with stone arms.
Decorated piscina. All with ogee heads. Nave has 6-bay arcades to north and
south with octagonal piers and double-chamfered arches. North arcade is later
than south, which is probably late C13/early C14. South arcade has piers with
differing bases and capitals. Very low pitch roof with corbel heads supporting
roof trusses. Easternmost roof beam has traces of C15 painting. Tall Decorated
tower arch with 3 orders of continuous chamfers. Late C13/early C14 octagonal
font with 8 different tracery patterns. C19 font cover, pine pews, pulpit and
stone reredos. Monuments. Wall monument in south aisle to Richard Davies d.1639.
Master of Arts, Exeter College, Oxford. Marble entablature supporting still life
of books. C15 tomb chest with traceried sides and defaced effigy. C17 and C18
gravestones in chancel floor to Sherley 1633 and Jane wife of Ralph Sherley 1685
- ?6, Jane wife of Barnabas Bishop, Patron of the church 1630; Barnabas Bishop
1635; William Bishop 1687 and Francis Bishop 1712; John Bishop 1627, Dorothy his
wife 161?: James Wright 1716. Church of St. George was known locally as the
Cathedral of the Feldon.
(Buildings of England: Warwickshire, 1981, pp.217-18; V.C.H.: Warwickshire,
Vol.V, 1949, pp.21-23).
Listing NGR: SP3153039316
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings