This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9733 / 54°58'23"N
Longitude: -1.6026 / 1°36'9"W
OS Eastings: 425534
OS Northings: 564372
OS Grid: NZ255643
Mapcode National: GBR SQV.CJ
Mapcode Global: WHC3R.C826
Entry Name: 9, Stepney Lane
Listing Date: 30 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1024754
English Heritage Legacy ID: 304881
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Electoral Ward/Division: Ouseburn
Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Newcastle Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 26 SE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE STEPNEY LANE
Warehouse and offices. Circa 1854 for Carver and Co., carriers, later used as corn
mill. English bond brick with ashlar plinth, quoins and dressings; Welsh slate roof.
3 storeys. Symmetrical 5-bay main block and narrower 3-bay right extension. Centre
and ends project slightly with quoins to the ends and rusticated giant pilasters to
centre. Segment-headed central wagon entrance with glinters and keystone. Round-
arched loading bay through 2 upper storeys, set in round-arched recess with hoist
beam in a shallower outer recess above. Doors with rusticated surrounds and keystones
linked to windows in similar surrounds in outer Bays; tripartite windows above. Single
windows in intermediate bays. Many windows blocked but there is same decorative
First floor band, second-floor band and top frieze and cornice. Parapet
raised above ends and higher in centre with carved panels. Similar but plainer treat-
ment to right extension.
Listing NGR: NZ2553464372
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings