This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4718 / 51°28'18"N
Longitude: -2.5765 / 2°34'35"W
OS Eastings: 360056
OS Northings: 174914
OS Grid: ST600749
Mapcode National: GBR CDC.68
Mapcode Global: VH88N.988K
Entry Name: Church of St Werburgh
Listing Date: 8 January 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1025007
English Heritage Legacy ID: 380002
Location: Bristol, BS2
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Ashley
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Bristol St Paul's
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST6074 MINA ROAD, St Werburgh
901-1/37/1931 (East side)
08/01/59 Church of St Werburgh
Church. Parts of tower 1758, the rest 1879 by John Bevan.
Snecked limestone ashlar and tile roof. Aisled nave and
chancel, W porch and SW tower. Perpendicular Gothic Revival
Moulded plinths and sill drip course. Transomed 7-light E
window and a crocketed hood, clasping buttresses with cornices
and gargoyles and panelled gablet finials. The N aisle is 5
bays separated by buttresses; in the second bay from the W is
a hooded door; parapet with blind traceried arcade. Lower
single pitch vestry at the E end, gabled to the north with a
3-centred arched east doorway between small buttresses, rising
through the eaves into a gable with a mullioned overlight, and
drip course with lion-head gutterspouts. S aisle has a plain
parapet, and a Lady Chapel with a crenellated parapet.
5-stage tower divided by drip moulds with a SW octagonal stair
turret: S door with a wide 2-centred arch and paired
colonnettes with round caps inside a moulded label, with
quatrefoils and mouchettes in the spandrels; 3-light
first-stage and 2-light second-stage windows; blind traceried
3rd- and 4th-stage belfry windows of 3 panels, louvred to the
middle; open crenellated parapet with square corner pinnacles
to the buttresses, and an octagonal top to the stair tower
with open pyramidal top.
The W porch has a shouldered gable with tracery panels below
the apex. 4-light W window, gables with clasping buttresses
and a pinnacle to the left one with tracery panels.
INTERIOR: reredos with a central carved panel of the Last
Supper with an openwork parapet, and 2 slate panels on either
side; an arch of 2 orders to the S contains the organ loft,
and the roof has timber tracery and a cornice with angels
holding shields. Chancel arch with 3 attached shafts, and a
6-bay nave arcade on slender columns with attached shafts and
foliate capitals, with a waggon roof on shield corbels; the
arch-braced truss aisle roofs bear on similar corbels. The
base of the tower has fan vaulting.
FITTINGS: choir stalls with poppy heads; a large octagonal
pulpit with panelled sides, and wrought-iron handrail; timber
traceried screens below the tower and round the door. Corner
vestry fireplace, a Tudor arch, panels above and a billeted
MEMORIALS: various late C18 and C19 wall tablets, and a
dresser tomb to John Barker, buried in the old Church of St
Werburgh in 1607: a panelled base, Corinthian shafts and a
plain entablature, with a recumbent figure lying on an elbow
with a panel surrounded by scrolls.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the medieval St Werburgh's, Corn Street was
rebuilt by James Bridges in 1758, in a manner '...by
eighteenth century standards notably conservative and
cautious' (Gomme). Shown in Winstone, it was demolished in
1877, and Bevan re-used parts of it on the current site.
(Bristol As It Was: 1879-1874: Bristol: 1965-: 30; Gomme A,
Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History:
Bristol: 1979-: 427).
Listing NGR: ST6005674914
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings