This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7111 / 51°42'39"N
Longitude: -1.9636 / 1°57'48"W
OS Eastings: 402611
OS Northings: 201372
OS Grid: SP026013
Mapcode National: GBR 3QY.NCH
Mapcode Global: VHB2Q.X883
Plus Code: 9C3WP26P+CH
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 23 July 1971
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1025128
English Heritage Legacy ID: 365468
ID on this website: 101025128
Location: Trinity Church, Watermoor, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: Cirencester
Built-Up Area: Cirencester
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cirencester St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
Tagged with: Church building
SP0201 WATERMOOR ROAD
578-1/6/330 (South West side)
23/07/71 Church of the Holy Trinity
Church. 1847-1851, windows enlarged by Scott 1878. By Sir
George Gilbert Scott. Rock-faced limestone with ashlar
dressings; stone slate roofs with coped verges.
2-bay aisled chancel with south vestry, 4-bay aisled nave,
north-west tower with spire.
Chancel: east gable wall with angle buttresses with offsets
has 3 lancet windows linked by continuous hoodmould with
carved stops; north wall has 2-light lancet window; south wall
has 2-light pointed window with geometrical tracery and
North chancel aisle: east gable wall has circular window in
moulded stone surround with tracery of 3 quatrefoils, angle
buttresses with offsets, gabled north-east porch in angle of
chancel and aisle has single-light window with hoodmould to
east wall, small plank door in shouldered chamfered stone
surround to north; north wall of north chancel aisle has
2-light pointed window with geometrical tracery and hoodmould,
attached to west is porch with hipped roof and plank door in
shouldered chamfered stone surround.
South chancel aisle: east gable wall has pointed window with 3
graduated lights and hoodmould, angle buttresses with offsets,
vestry attached to south has lancet window with hoodmould to
east and 2 pairs of lancets with hoodmoulds to south, cusped
circular window and plank door with hoodmould to west wall,
ashlar squinch passage in angle with south nave aisle.
North nave aisle: to north wall two 2-light pointed windows
with geometrical tracery and hoodmoulds, gabled porch with
buttresses with offsets has pointed doorway with paired shafts
and moulded with late C20 iron gates.
South nave aisle: to south wall three 2-light pointed windows
with plate tracery and hoodmoulds, south doorway in gabled
projection has pointed moulded hood on triple shafts with leaf
capitals, boarded door with decorative ironwork; west wall has
3-light pointed window with geometrical tracery and hoodmould,
angle buttresses with offsets.
Nave: west wall has 4-light pointed window with geometrical
tracery and hoodmould.
North-west tower: has angle and intermediate buttresses with
offsets, stair turret to north-east angle, 2 lancet windows to
north wall and 4 lancet windows to west wall, pairs of 2-light
pointed windows with plate tracery and stone louvres to each
face to bell-chamber; ball-flower frieze with gargoyles and
parapet with moulded coping; broach spire with 2-light
openings in gabled dormers to each face.
INTERIOR: chancel has single pointed moulded arches to north
and south aisles, small pointed doorway to north, doorway with
4-centred arch head to south. Chancel arch pointed with
moulded head on carved corbels. Sanctuary has carved, painted
and gilded reredos by Scott, 1881, piscina and 3 sedilia to
south; brass and oak communion rails, oak choir stalls. Organ
in north chancel aisle; communion table with carved and gilded
timber reredos to south chancel aisle.
Nave has arcade of pointed arches on round and octagonal piers
with carved capitals; octagonal stone pulpit to north-west of
chancel arch with quatrefoil decoration and openwork panels to
sides; font to west end of north nave aisle quatrefoil plan on
4 grouped marble piers with elaborate cusped and pinnacled
brass cover; softwood pews. 8-bay nave roof with king-post
trusses lit by 2 dormers to each side.
(The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The
Cotswolds: London: 1970-: P.171; Verey D: Cotswold Churches:
London: 1976-: PP 76 & 77).
Listing NGR: SP0261101372
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings