This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9152 / 54°54'54"N
Longitude: -1.6071 / 1°36'25"W
OS Eastings: 425283
OS Northings: 557908
OS Grid: NZ252579
Mapcode National: GBR KC6L.VT
Mapcode Global: WHC3Y.8QY8
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 1 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1025154
English Heritage Legacy ID: 303837
Location: Lamesley, Gateshead, NE11
Civil Parish: Lamesley
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Lamesley
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ 25 NE
Church of St. Andrew
Parish church. 1758 rebuilding on site of medieval church;
1821 addition of aisles and west tower. Coursed squared standstone with
ashlar dressings; galletting to chancel south wall. Welsh slate roof
with stone gable coping. West tower; nave; chancel with north porch and
vestry. Gothick style. Tower has north door; 3-light west window with
head-stopped drip mould under clock and 2 - light belfry openings.
Battlements to tower and to taller octagonal stair turret with slit windows.
Cyma-moulded high sloping plinth to aisles; cusped arches to window transoms;
gabled and diagonal buttresses define 4 bays with battlemented parpapets
Blind chancel has 4-light east window. Cross finials; weather vane. Interior:
high octagonal plinth to tall quatrefoil piers supporting narrow chamfered
arcades on inner shafts; Aisle galleries, easternmost bays removed.
1884 transfer of organ from tower to porch; chancel fittings 1893 by
W. S. Hicks; 1910 chancel screen and oak panelling. Monument in white
marble (Rachel weeping for her children) to Honourable Frances Jane Liddell,
died 1823. Clock commemorates third earl of Ravensworth, died 1904.
Historical note: Liddells acquired Ravensworth in 1607; 1642 Thomas Liddell created
baronet; 1821 baronetcy re-created.
Listing NGR: NZ2528357908
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings